Emergency!!! Possible broken bone?

Delaneygraces

Certified Procrastinator
5 Years
Jan 14, 2018
Illinois
Please help! I heard some ruckus from the yard, and the second I opened the door, a hawk flew up from behind the tree near the coop. I raced out to check my birds, and I’m pretty sure my heart actually stopped when I saw one of my hens on her back. She was alive, and just seemed fazed. I put her back on her feet, and she ran to find her babies (she’s a broody with 8+ babies). She was walking fine, but her wing was dragging, and her back was covered in blood. After closer inspection, I found that under her wing was a big bloody hole, and sticking out, was a white bone, broken off from the wing. The hen can barely move the wing, and the only thin she does to it is lift it to cover her chicks. I am sorry but it is dark out, and I don’t have any pictures of the wound to share.

Is there anything I can do? I used some water to rinse the dirt from being on her back off, but I’ve never experienced broken bones other than a toe. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do you have any iodine, chlorhexidene, wound spray, or other good disinfectant? Clean the wounds and apply some Triple Antibiotic Ointment to them twice a day. With a bone sticking out, there could be a risk of bone infection. How is she doing?
Thank you! I’m Running to town today and can pick stuff up, I do have a spray that I use on most injuries, i’ll Have to check the name.
She is doing fine this morning, and while it looks painful the injury doesn’t seem to affect her. She was up at the crack of dawn like usual and in the yard with her chicks, walking, eating just fine. I’ll get some ointment and update you on how’s shes doing tonight. Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom