Emergency Rooster lathargic and laying on his side

Cash's Coop

In the Brooder
May 17, 2017
Ok so i will do the best to give you a time line to what has happend and going on.

First and foremost about a month ago i had a coyote snag a couple of my birds and rather than to get rid of one of my roosters i opted to get some replacement birds from a local guy. When doing so i was told i could just introduce to my flock without quarantining them and that is exactly what i did. I asked the guy i bought them from and he said they had not been sick and the only thing that was going on is that they were going through a molt. Since i am new to chickens i did not know otherwise and feel like i am learning things the hard way now. Since that has happend my chickens devloped a cough and some sneezing. Through research on BYC i was determined it was infectious brochitis. So for treatment i have been changing water daily , adding vitamins to their water and trying to get them to eat yogurt which they seem to have no interest in.

Since this has happend my roosters are not vocal at all... which is very abnormal. In addition to not being vocal they have had abnormal behavior and specifically my Wyandotte Rooster has been very lathargic. This morning i went out to the coop and he was barely standing up , wobbling and has now gone to laying on his side. I have removed him from the coop and put him in my barn away from the other chickens until i figure out what to do next. It is my assumption this is likely going to happen with my entire flock unless i get it under control... I have posted pictures as well as some symptoms i have noticed.... i would also mentioned that when i just moved my rooster to the barn he had white discharge on his nostril.

This picture is my other rooster that i have notice the most bubbles in his eyes.
IMG_3636 (1).JPG

Symptoms over the past several weeks... No Eggs, Shaking Head, Sneezing, Coughing, breathing with mouth open, not vocal, decreased appetite, watery poop

Any help is appreciated. Unfortunately the only access i have to a vet is Kansas State University which is an hour away and i cannot make it to until the weekend at the earliest.
IMG_3641.JPG
IMG_3632.JPG
IMG_3639.JPG

I might also add that i noticed an odor on him and he smells awful. i read another thread on this page that was talking about Tylan 50. Can someone please explain? Is that something that treats alot of different sickness in chickens....

Oh no!!! How awful... ☹️ I am so sorry that you have to go through this!!! It is always a safe practice to quarantine new birds for at least 3 weeks. Sounds like this is a respiratory disorder (bubbly eyes, wobbling, lethargy, no vocalizing, coughing, etc.) Try buying a bottle of VetRx if you can. They are typically sold at Feed stores. Directions of use are on the bottle. I'd try researching this more online. I'm so sorry you have to go through this, but hopefully you get something from my advice!!! Best wishes for you and your birds...
:hugs

The smell? Could it be Coryza? Goodness I am really sorry, hopefully someone chimes in that knows a little more but I would definitely start the Tylan

i am on my way to get the Tylan.... any advice on dosage and how to give? Orally ? These are 7 mo old birds and i assume it is best to treat the entire flock.

1/2 cc for standard, 1/4 cc for bantams. It can be injected with a diabetic size needle IM, or given orally, although I am told it is more effective IM. I have heard that some put it on bread if the bird will eat. Hoping someone else can confirm this though.

There is also a soluble form. I couldn't find that here locally though. I am not sure about that dosage.

Get Tylan 50 and some VetRx. You can give 1 ml orally twice a day. Or you can inject 1 ml into breast twice a day. Put 1 drop of VetRx into each nostril. You can even drip into the mouth.

Back
Top Bottom