Emu Chick Death, Sickness

Kalifornsky

Songster
Jul 9, 2017
TX
Hello, got an account out of nervousness for a new chick that might be showing early symptoms of sickness. Any help or advice at all is much appreciated!

A couple of weeks ago a three-week old emu chick, Koro, was doing fine until one day went downhill very fast- and past away that night. The droppings were one sign something was wrong- watery, with white stringy bits mixed in. As the night went on, the droppings lost the normal green textured quality and were purely water + bits of orange. Koro lost his appetite and threw up several times. The final symptom was breathing problems- and then sadly passed away shortly after that.

We were putting B-12 in the water plus a poultry "nutri-drench." Also putting E Oil in the feed to avoid wry neck (a previous chick got that but recovered).

A week ago Kali hatched, and quickly learned to eat the pellets and drink. Gave her daily fiber (spinach) in the water and seemed pretty independent compared to the other chicks. However, I just noticed a new dropping that looked similar to Koro's before he went downhill. It still has the green chunks, but it's slightly more watery and has the distinct white stringy parts. It's a real concern to me Kali might have caught whatever Koro had.

Is it viral or a parasite, a worm? Any anecdote is welcome, and advice on what this is and how to treat it. Kali is very young, so we aren't even sure she is old enough for wormer.

I'll keep this thread updated on how Kali is doing. Right now she is still bursting with energy, with less interest in food than usual. I hope it's just me fretting over nothing but I thought it would be worth asking if anyone has seen this before.

Thank you!

Hello! Thanks for the well wishes, I have an update.

A few more symptoms cropped up for Kali, really stinky and bubbly poop. Kali also started to get overheated easily, so maybe the beginnings of fever. Otherwise, Kali still has a lot of energy and is still eating and drinking.

Today we took Kali to a vet where the droppings were tested, and the vet saw signs of the parasite giardia. Kali is now on Albon suspension for possible infection and Panacur for the parasite. Giardia symptoms match up with what I've been seeing, and the parasite can survive in the environment for a long amount of time before something else picks it up, which was how it passed from Koro to Kali.

I'm pretty hopeful this treatment will clear up Kali's symptoms, and I'll definitely disinfect the entire room to prevent this parasite from cropping up again. I'll keep this page posted!

Hi there,

Sorry to hear your little one is sick. Hope the treatment helps soon.

To disinfect your room, I'd suggest using a product called F10 which is a veterinary disinfectant. When mixed at the correct ratios it doesn't need to be rinsed and is safe for birds.
It also clearly (helpfully) specifies required contact times to kill various types of microbes. It's wonderful stuff.

Hello! Thanks for the well wishes, I have an update.

A few more symptoms cropped up for Kali, really stinky and bubbly poop. Kali also started to get overheated easily, so maybe the beginnings of fever. Otherwise, Kali still has a lot of energy and is still eating and drinking.

Today we took Kali to a vet where the droppings were tested, and the vet saw signs of the parasite giardia. Kali is now on Albon suspension for possible infection and Panacur for the parasite. Giardia symptoms match up with what I've been seeing, and the parasite can survive in the environment for a long amount of time before something else picks it up, which was how it passed from Koro to Kali.

I'm pretty hopeful this treatment will clear up Kali's symptoms, and I'll definitely disinfect the entire room to prevent this parasite from cropping up again. I'll keep this page posted!
Thanks for the update! Glad you were able to see the vet. Interestingly, one of my vets said that foamy poop is indication of a protozoa.

Hi again,

Another update on Kali. All seems mostly normal and he is very energetic still. However, I've noticed that he has some breathing problems- when laying down especially his chest heaves and the breathing is audible. It's been a few days and he can't even chirp anymore, it comes out wheezy.

Otherwise happy and healthy, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this in chicks and if there is anything to do about it. Kali has a huge belly (eats a lot) so that might contribute to it.

Thanks!

Hi again,

Another update on Kali. All seems mostly normal and he is very energetic still. However, I've noticed that he has some breathing problems- when laying down especially his chest heaves and the breathing is audible. It's been a few days and he can't even chirp anymore, it comes out wheezy.

Otherwise happy and healthy, but I was wondering if anyone else has seen this in chicks and if there is anything to do about it. Kali has a huge belly (eats a lot) so that might contribute to it.

Thanks!
Huge belly and breathing problems are not a good sign. Can you go back to the vet?

quite possibly retained yolk sacs in both cases.
Nothing you can do short of surgery that may very well not help and would cost a lot of money...so sorry for what you're dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom