Emu egg season Fall of 2013 to 2014

Egg 45 and expect 2 more tomorrow, like clock work, so reliable..... only 1 got smashed, in late Dec...found bits of eggshells near Rosie's bed and 2 ft away a dead rat ...flattened..she must have clouted this egg by accident, with getting the big rat....lol

Last edited:
wee.gif
My emu normally start laying in November I have waited all winter ,I think the weather has messed them up this year has been so weird this year but the weather warmed up like spring has hit then the temp dropped again and Elmo started pacing and true to form (she has did this for 18 years every time she is laying she paces for 2 days then lays) she laid her first egg yesterday finely yeah
celebrate.gif

It was 84 here yesterday.. and nice for the past few weeks...then we get an insanely cold day (like today when it barely hit 30).. then more nice days.. so it's no wonder the birds are messed up this year.. and thanks to the sleet that we had today our peach trees will probably lose their buds.. grr

Hopefully next year everyone has better weather (more consistent at least) and the emu don't feel so confused about the laying season!

Have you ever had emu before ? and if not have you done any research , it is very important that you know what you are in for when taking on emu, also the fencing is different from other animal , they are awesome birds ,I truly love my emu and enjoy taking care of them however there are things you need to learn about them to keep from making a mistake that could cause you to loose one or cause crippling of them , such as they lay in the winter and if you want to get the eggs and have them shipped or start with a baby . I hope you have a pleasant journey learning and taking on these loving and sweet birds .good luck from TN.

This is probably a super stupid question, but. emus must mate before even thinking about laying eggs. Is that correct? So, like if you had a lone female, she wouldn't ever lay. that's what I'm thinking. Like my turkey lol.

Back
Top Bottom