Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

Ok here are my first week's loss:
Eggs in on Dec 16:

Egg 1: 471 - 458 total loss 13 grams or 2.76%

Egg 2: 440 - 433 total loss 7 grams or 1.59%

Egg 3: 443 - 431 total loss 12 grams or 2.71%

Egg 4: 419 - 411 total loss 8 grams or 1.91%

Egg 5: 462 - 447 total loss 15 grams or 3.25%

Is it me or are these eggs awefully small in weight?
they are on the lower side.. but should still hatch fine. It could be the first year for the female's eggs... I know last year the larger eggs that I got were all pretty early in the season with the smaller eggs being from younger birds and a little later in the season. I think the largest ones came from a female that was about 15 years old... so
hu.gif

Weight loss is looking good so far though!
thumbsup.gif

Can't you get eggs more local ? and then collect, posting fertile Eggs is very risky..
Calla
There are three people that I know of with breeding pairs.. and a fourth that has a pair that we suspect is same sex since they haven't laid any eggs
The problem is that they don't bother to tell me that they found eggs until several weeks have past and the eggs are weeping. I got several last year and most started weeping when I put them in the bator. It's a shame.. but what can you do when emu egg hunting is low on their priority list. I can't really complain since MOST of the local eggs were given to me.. So I do still have the shells for carving. I just wish I could get the eggs as soon as they are laid.

One consolation at least you have the shell for carving lol
I have still 5 more shells waiting to carve or decorate, eggs I bought and not fertile, ha ha

Maybe its just because they're early in the season? Or maybe they're pullet eggs?
My egged weighed 586g, now 572g, I weighed it a day late.
Do you mean it weighs 572 after being in the incubator for a week? It should not lose 14 grams in one day?

Thanks for the reply Yinepu I really appriciate it !!!

Last edited:
I got 4 Eggs in my small incubator, 2 more waiting to go in, when 8 will move them to larger Inci. I had an egg from Rosie only 2 days interval , the 1st 2 were every 5 days, according to my 2 previous years record, it was similar, but never just after 2 days...mostly 3 days, is she competing with the other new laying girl Jasmine ?? lol
Only 2 boys so far ha ha ( don't ask me how I know ) lol
Calla

Last edited:
Farmer chef ..... never mind.......I guess 1 day won't matter, I never used to weigh eggs , they still hatched lol . When I got my 1st Emu eggs, a Lady I got 6 Rhea eggs from, some years back...said to weigh them...so I put one EMU egg on my very old kicthen scale...... while I reached for next.......Promptly tipped tray and fell on floor lol end of story.

For Newbies who incubate Eggs 1st time.....or had bad luck in past and yet Eggs were fertile.

If you have to hand turn egg or moving eggs out onto scales, make sure to put egg back same way, don’t keep turning them in one direction, but back to the original position or opposite, if turning is due and be quick doing it.,because you will tangle the cord that holds the yolk in place and kill the embryo. The less disturbance the better.

I genty tilt and turn my eggs, back and forth, so never have to open Incubater, just quick syringe water in wells, when needed..
Aim to turn an odd number of times through the day so the eggs don’t lie on the same side every night.
Calla

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom