Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

Update - one chick hatched late last night / early morning - and one is on the way out as I type (day 55 for both) - that is 6 chicks and counting.

Day 55 - one egg internal pip'd and chirping (48 hours) - one egg still has not sounded and can still feel the cool air cell.

Day 48/47 for 6 eggs

I have my box with the egg shells ready to go out for testing - just waiting chick number 7 - really want to know how many males / females I have so far.

My goal is 3 pairs and anything beyond that is a bonus.

10 chicks would give me about a 30% hatch rate and that was all I wanted - knowing that these were shipped eggs from all over the country.

My goal is 3 pairs and anything beyond that is a bonus.
I hope it works out for you!

When they come of age, are you going to "encourage" them to pair up in a particular way? Or are you going to let them choose by themselves?

Here is the graph for my Very Last Egg.

Looks to be on track so far!
I think the slight variations in the graph relate to weather (humidity).

Hey y'all! I wish I could've stayed more up to date on this thread this year but its been so hectic here lately! I'm glad so many of y'alls eggs are doing well!! My 6 are on day 35 & 4 are wiggling like crazy...one I haven't seen move yet but today is the first time I've watched them. So that leaves me to my question...one of the eggs that hasn't wiggled yet is "one side heavy." If I put it in the table it will always roll to the one side & it's very hard to get it to sit any other way, the side that lays up gets cool quick too...I'm thinking its a dud but anyone know what that could mean? None of them smell & are losing ok weight. I'm pretty sure that egg was the one that rolled out of the incubator and fell a couple inches so that could've done it in, it was around 2 weeks along then...I hate to think I caused it to stop growing

Ok, I need help......my youngest emu which is about 4 days old has been fine up until today. This morning he seems to be hold his head down almost like he's trying to look under his belly. I'm thinking it might be the start of crooked neck so I mixed some chick booster into their water right away. Any other suggestions? Like I said he's been fine.......is there anything else I should be doing? I might try and find a vet that will see him. I would just hate for something serious to be wrong. Any input would be very much appreciated.....thanks

Quick update, as I was typing my last post about Rio having a limp neck I was holding him and giving him small sips of water that I mixed some Life-Lytes vitamins supplements in. And within that hour it seems to have helped. He's only 4 days old but perhaps he was getting dehydrated because I can't see the electrolytes working so quickly.....I'm still worried but feel more hopeful. So one more question, would a vet that treats birds in general know enough about emu? Are most birds similar as far as health goes? I'd truly feel better if I could bring both Sydney and Rio to a vet just to get checked out. These are our first emus and we are all in love with them already.......and we're hooked and determined to do what's best for these little gifts if nature.

Summary - 7 chicks hatched and in the brooding area - shells sent out today for DNA sexing to Zoogen

7 eggs left - one looks like it will not make it.

Day 56 for two eggs - one has sounded three days ago - put a small air hole in the shell and everything still sounds and looks good.
Second egg has not sounded and is not moving that I can see (I am not holding out much hope for this one)

Day 50/49
One egg hatched yesterday - it was one of the ones I dropped (2 weeks ago) and cracked the shell all down the side.
I put liquid skin on the shell right after-wards and I can't believe it hatched a large healthily chick at 47days. The chick just opened the shell like a book and was out in minutes. Yoke sack completely absorbed.

Balance of 5 eggs still moving well.

Last edited:
Daily update:

Now have 8 chicks (sent 7 samples to Zoogen for DNA testing) - will send the balance when hatching is complete.

Setting one - complete 1 chick out of 12 eggs
(shipping damage & handling) Eugene OR - 8 eggs Auburn Ca - 4 eggs

Setting two - complete 6 chicks out 10 eggs
(1Fertility - one early death 20days - one died assisted hatch breech - one full term didn't sound) Canyon Ca - Auburn Ca - Sanford NC

Setting three - 14 eggs - 1 chick (as of today) cracked egg hatched
yippiechickie.gif

4 good eggs left on day 51 / 50
Dropped full try of eggs (12) 1 to 1.5 feet to the ground while turning eggs - operator error
hide.gif

One thing should be noted:
I dropped these eggs on day 34 - by that time should have had fully developed embryos - all eggs were blown out to save the shells and only one had a chick in it - so I will call this an incubation error, but I believe it is a combination of a few factors - shipping - dropping - and fertility.

Last edited:
Day 50/49
One egg hatched yesterday - it was one of the ones I dropped (2 weeks ago) and cracked the shell all down the side.
I put liquid skin on the shell right after-wards and I can't believe it hatched a large healthily chick at 47days. The chick just opened the shell like a book and was out in minutes.
Just amazing!
I was grinning from ear to ear when I read this.

Another weighing -- progress still looks OK even though it has been very humid here for the past few days.
However -- I don't notice a warm end / cool end to the egg, like I would expect for an air cell.
sad.png

This might not be my year for an emu...
I'm starting to research other possibilities for my incubator, though (since we made the incubator just for the emu eggs).
Maybe Seramas? They could spend the winters in the greenhouse / aviary...

I'm already thinking ahead to next year's season.
gig.gif
ES Emus is not far from us!

Yoda, how is your last egg doing?

Back
Top Bottom