Emu nest found

When I got out early this morning, the eggs had already been turned by a parent, I assume it was by the male because he shows the most interest in the nest. I know they had been turned just before I got there because there was still moisture on the top surface of the eggs where they had had contact with the damp ground and moist pine needles prior to being turned. The male ventures over to the nest to check on it after I leave. He does this every time I go out and check on

it. The female is due to lay another egg tonight...

I found myself using the term ‘pre-nest’ after E.H. taught me enough to understand that Certain Stuff happens before the male plonks himself down on the eggs for The Big Wait. Over some days, the eggs sit untended and covered in the pre-nest.

There’s a great ‘tutorial’ on this at ‘Youtube finding an emu nest.’

Great data, E.S. I will avidly read every bit of it.

S.E.

Last edited:
When they cover them with pine needles, if you didn't know where to look you'd never find them.....lol
I know Doodlebug often will lay ever other day....if memory serves me. When my other girl starts...it will be hard, as five plus acres of pine needles are over on her side....hehe

Chickenzoo .......Good point ........ lol glad to say, I know where my Rosie lays her eggs....safely under the biggest pale of hay in her bed ha ha

Slipped up last year, 3 days apart.... both are girls lol or I could have got a Rhemu lol

Calla

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom