emu transport

lost-duckling

Songster
Mar 24, 2021
Hi i was wondering if any one here knows the best way to transport my year old emu to the vet. i have heard from a friend that using a livestock trailer often ends in high mortality rates. So i am assuming she would need to be sedated some how so iguess my question is the best way to sedate her. Thank you she is about one year old.

https://www.emu.services/transporting-handling-loading-emu.html

Swaddling?
And I'm sure I remember someone talking about putting a pillowslip -- 'capture bag' -- on an emu's head.
But could you and an accomplice effectively 'truss-wrap' the bird? making it a big bundle of bird with its head sticking out?

Some years ago, I rescued a chick about a metre high from a fence. It died several days later.
(R.I.P., 'Si Kecil')
My point is that if I had another similar experience, I'd swaddle the injured bird by positioning its legs as though it were sitting, and then binding its legs quite tightly up under it.

And this may sound funny, but . . . emus seem amazingly able to forget danger if you give them treats. So giving it treats during The Procedure might help.

Look forward to your report.

SE

Last edited:
I have transported emus about 140 miles I rented the smallest U-Haul enclosed trailer there is and keeps them from moving around you just threw a rubber mat in the bottom and they just lay down for the ride.
The mat gives them traction so they don’t slip and fall.

ok thank you so much it would also seem that my emu is almost healed before i could even get an apointment with the exotics vet but i will keep this in mind for next time

You could try to darken the trailer maybe put multiple layers of black paper over the windows so it will stay calm, not sure though just a suggestion

Back
Top Bottom