Encouraging chickens to lay

RainbowFlower

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Wollongong, NSW, Australia
I have 4 RIR cross pullets which are now about 23 weeks old. The breeder said they would start to lay between 20 and 24 weeks, but they are showing no signs of laying yet.

Two of them have redder combs and wattles than the other 2 (someone on here said that is a sign they are nearly ready to lay).

Is there any way of encouraging them to start laying, or do I just have to wait?

Unfortunately, you just have to wait. Look for red combs and wattles, and watch them to see if they're becoming interested in the nesting boxes. That's about all you can do.

Im telling you, I dont know why but it worked for me.. I went out and had a talk with my RIR and showed her a Golf Ball.. and put it in a nest and told her, this is what an egg kind of looks like and very soon you should start laying these.. lol she looked at me and acted like she heard me..

about 2 days later.. boom boom pow! eggs!

We've had red wattles for about a week now, and they just scratch all of the hay out of their nesting boxes. So I guess I just have to wait.

Maybe I'll go find some golf balls.
hmm.png

Or maybe just asking on here will produce results, because it did with getting the chickens to go downstairs out of their coop.
roll.png

If they are showing interest in their nesting boxes during the day, that's a good sign...even if it is just to scratch all the hay out. At least they are exploring nesting sites. It can be rough waiting for pullets to decide its their point of lay. Every hen is different. I have a brood of 3 that the last one finally started laying the other day, her sisters have been laying for 4 and 2 weeks respectively.

Back
Top Bottom