Ended up with 3 males and 2 females.

CountryGalTN

Chirping
Feb 27, 2018
East TN
Gahhhh

Out of the 5 baby pekins we got at TSC , 3 turned out to be male and 2 are female.

They are 8wk old.

Tell me how this will play out. What should I do? They are all attached to one another and distress call when they are apart.

It' s not a good ratio. Unless you want more ducks, the best thing would be to rehome two of the drakes.

Gahhhh

Out of the 5 baby pekins we got at TSC , 3 turned out to be male and 2 are female.

They are 8wk old.

Tell me how this will play out. What should I do? They are all attached to one amother and distress call when they are apart.

We are fairly new duck parents and we had the same problem. I share our experience only because I wish someone had told us, and I want to help you avoid what happened to us... How it plays out depends on what you do. Leave them together and the males will "use" the females until they're dead. We just learned that lesson the hard way - RIP lil girl. So after they've been living together for about a year now, we had to build another run for our males that is attached to the original one, and build them their own roost box for night time. The males and females can see each other through the wire mesh and come face to face, and while they do seem to be missing each other, it is for their own safety. We had five females and four males. Now it's 4:4. It was either get 12-16 more all female ducks, or separate them. That's our horrifying experience. Hope telling it helps you avoid the same fate.

We are fairly new duck parents and we had the same problem. I share our experience only because I wish someone had told us, and I want to help you avoid what happened to us... How it plays out depends on what you do. Leave them together and the males will "use" the females until they're dead. We just learned that lesson the hard way - RIP lil girl. So after they've been living together for about a year now, we had to build another run for our males that is attached to the original one, and build them their own roost box for night time. The males and females can see each other through the wire mesh and come face to face, and while they do seem to be missing each other, it is for their own safety. We had five females and four males. Now it's 4:4. It was either get 12-16 more all female ducks, or separate them. That's our horrifying experience. Hope telling it helps you avoid the same fate.
:welcome
It is true when the ratio is off the drakes will overbreed which is detrimental to the ducks. Sorry to hear that this happened to you.

Sigh.

Thanks for the info.

The 3 males are huge and the 2 females are smallish.

The females do a loud QUACK QUACK, the males make a different sound.

Right now they are all sweet. Husband said get rid of 2 females or all 3 males he doesn't want babies.

I wanted eggs.

Kids gonna be upset. But I don't want the ducks to suffer.

If you want eggs, keep the females. You don't need a drake for eggs.
However, I believe you can have 1 drake to two females, but more is always better. As far as ducklings go, you could just make sure to get the eggs everyday and not let them brood them. As well, some ducks aren't as broody as others.
If you keep the drakes, they can be mean to one another during the spring hormonal time. Of course, I have read females can be aggressive towards each other too.
:confused:

Thanks for the post! This is so true. If you can’t separate them, you will have to rehome them, or some BYCers make them dinner. But yes the original poster of the thread is right something has to be done. It’s just what best fits their resources and time!:highfive:

Back
Top Bottom