energetic chick sleeping constantly

saridout

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 11, 2010
DFW
my flock of 6 bantam b/b/s orps is a little over 1 month old. one of them, who is usually really energetic and stand-offish, has been sitting and sleeping all day today. i gave them some blackberries this evening, which they love, and this chick just sat in the corner of the brooder while the others fought over the berries. i've taken it out and held it, and it's not struggling at all, which is usually what it does. now that i think of it, the remaining berries in the package are now moldy. could that have hurt them? should i separate this chick from the others? aside from keeping it warm, is there anything i can do?

I wonder if it's a nutritional thing. I'd wait and see how he's doing in the morning. Maybe someone else could comment.

Actually if it were mold it wouldn't be contageous. Let him sleep it off with the others and let us know how he is doing in the morning.

he seems to be coming and going. never back to his usual self, but getting better and then worse, and visa versa. i tried to get him to eat some cooked oatmeal, but he wasn't at all interested and went to sleep. he hasn't pooped in an hour. the rest of the chicks seem fine.

update: we've put him back in the brooder, and is back to standing in the corner asleep
sad.png

update: she's lived through the night, and i took her to the vet this morning. she has an upper resp. infection. we were given antibiotics and told to dose her with gatorade, and in the last hour she has begun standing up on her own at least.

more updates as news warrants.

That good new and I'm glad you sought treatment. What type of antibiotic are you using?

yes, please what antibiotic are you using? And what kind of gatorade? How much of each? how often? We don't have a vet within 100 miles that treats chickens here.....

the antibiotic is Clavamox, administered in oral drops. i think the dose is about 1/4 cc twice a day. the vet didn't specify what kind of gatorade, but he suggested about the same amount as the clavamox. she's perked up a little since the first dose, but not a whole lot.

Back
Top Bottom