Escape!

flying_babyb

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
Chick land
We have chicken wire down to the ground in our run and the hens keep excaping. Any ideas? we live in a relitivly safe place so its not a huge deal but its frustraing picking them out of the garden (and lawn, car, roof, tree, picnic table, garage.....)8 times a day and returing them home.

It sounds like your run just isn't secure enough to keep them in. If you know where they are escaping from, you may be able to make minor repairs to that section of the run. If they are going over the top, you may need higher walls. If they are going under the wire at the bottom, burying the bottom 12" of your run wire should prevent that.

our grounds kinda frozen already so digging under wont work, is there another way to pin the edges down? I think there getting out the back by the garage. Our run is totally enclosed and has a wire roof.

walking out the back. they pulled up a peice of fence last week which we bent back down and put wood in front of, and they still outsmarted us!

is it an old hole they dug and resently figured out? my girls dig like crazy. when we built the run, we burried the welded wire a foot below the surface to keep predators out, but as I have quickly discovered, it keeps our ladies in!

they can fit through pretty small spaces... any coop corners that are open?

sorry: just saw that you figured out the hole! smart chickens!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom