Etiquette Traning

ldel4567

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 13, 2012
Last night I had to give Brutus a lesson on etiquette. The girls have been in the coop about a week; with the rooster, about 3 days. Everyone has been getting along swell, and Brutus, to my surprise, has been very cordial. However, last night was their first night together, in the coop.
Before they all retired for the evening, a storm was brewing. They were all outside playing and foraging. When the time came to go in, Brutus, jumped up on the roost first and would not let the girls up (i.e.The pecking order thing,and he was pecking.). I wasn't going to tolerate that. I chased him out while the hens perched. While they were getting themselves settled, I stood outside the door with Brutus; keeping him at bay, until the last hen was up. Then, I let him up. He got in his place, but not without pecking on one of the chicks. I shut their door, and hoped I wouldn't find any wounded in the morning.
This morning, I went out and checked on everyone. All seems well, no wounded.Whew! I think more training will be necessary,though.

as Sourland says, you probably aren't going to "teach" him anything. After a few days, the behavior will just end on his own. As long as no one is bleeding, it's nothing to worry about.

Well, he sort of did, but because they are so small they kind of got knocked off the perch.

I suppose. He was copping an attitude that was a little off-putting to me. Otherwise, they are getting along very well.

Back
Top Bottom