Eucalyptus (I think not but maybeeeee)? As chipped bedding.

chix4lyfe

Chirping
Jul 10, 2020
I'm not sure but I found this other thread from a while ago maybe this will help.
6E07FE81-B3ED-47EA-96E6-714869BB0B82.png

CalBickieMomma

Songster
Jul 27, 2019
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Maybe you could just use the leaves? Our property has eucs in the back, and the neighbors behind us and next to us have raised American game chickens since my family moved here 30+ years ago. Maybe don’t use the wood chips, but we always used the new growth leaves (with the white dust on them) to deter insects like fleas (my dad always put them in the dogs’ sleeping area).
Also, when the back pasture area gets mowed (some sort of purple grass that looks like very thin straw when cut and dried out) I gather up the ‘straw’ and add cuttings of lavender flowers, rosemary, mint, citrus leaves, and new eucalyptus leaves to make a fragrant nesting material for the laying boxes. So far, no issues and it smells soooo good.

Chickenman MAN

Songster
Oct 25, 2020
United Kingdom South Devon
Maybe you could just use the leaves? Our property has eucs in the back, and the neighbors behind us and next to us have raised American game chickens since my family moved here 30+ years ago. Maybe don’t use the wood chips, but we always used the new growth leaves (with the white dust on them) to deter insects like fleas (my dad always put them in the dogs’ sleeping area).
Also, when the back pasture area gets mowed (some sort of purple grass that looks like very thin straw when cut and dried out) I gather up the ‘straw’ and add cuttings of lavender flowers, rosemary, mint, citrus leaves, and new eucalyptus leaves to make a fragrant nesting material for the laying boxes. So far, no issues and it smells soooo good.
Wait what... I thought the leaves were the toxic bit? Huh...will read into it

rosemarythyme

Scarborough Fair
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
I'd probably be super wary of anything that could be *possibly* harmful to any critter.

Well I use some cedar in my set up (which most people caution against), but I remember distinctly how pungent the eucalyptus windbreaks were in my childhood neighborhood. Blows cedar right out of the water.

Top Bottom