Euthanasia Emergency

Iluvmychickens

Songster
12 Years
Jun 27, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
I have a very ill Rooster and I need to put him down. Here are my questions.

1. Will anti freeze do the deed?

2. If I were to give him a 20 milligram Oxycontin will that do it?

3. I am not able to be-head him

4. I can not wring his neck

5. I can not shoot him, use carbon monoxide, slit his throat, or use ether

How about finding a neighbor etc who "can" put him down properly, i.e. relatively instantaneously and surely, with an axe or etc?

Unfortunately one part of owning animals is making sure that you are willing to do what's necessary for a suffering animal.

Good luck and sympathies,

Pat

any toxin is a painful way to die (anti-freeze)
Only an overdose of a barbituate would do the deed and not an antibiotic (this is also an approved method of euthanasia)
Ask your neighbors or call the nearest rehabber to help you or aspca .
LOCATE REHABBER:
http://www.wildliferehabber.org/

or
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm

...explain it is a pet and your situation and ask them for help to put it down painlessly.

I feel for you, I know I'm dreading the day when I will have to put one of my girls down. There needs to be a way to do it that isn't horrifying for both the bird and the owner.
The only thing I can suggest is take him to a vet for a shot? If not, I've also read you could wrap him up and put him in the freezer, but I don't know how long it takes and truly, I don't think I could do that myself. I hope someone comes up with a solution for you.

Antifreeze would only make him sick if you could get enough in him to even do that.

I don't think that is a lethal overdose for a chicken without some suffering - physical illness, stumbling, laying down and struggling for life.

I am very sorry to sound harsh but to take on the responsibility of raising any animal you also have the responsibility of humanly culling when needed.

If you can't do it call a neighbor or someone who will help you. Call a vet and ask if they will put him to sleep for you.

It is never easy to do what has to be done. I cry through it every single time.

Try engine starting fluid (ether) and a small closed trash can with a lid.

Try engine starting fluid (ether) and a small closed trash can with a lid.

There was a huge discussion on this method over at the other BYC location a while back...everone seemed to agree in the end that WHEN it works (quickly) it is not painless.​

It is ether (engine starter fluid) that you use...available at auto stores....It will take alot of ether on rags to put down a rooster, a container big enough to hold him but not too large either...Do this outside away from the flumes for yourself!!...close the lid and leave him for awhile...he will just go to sleep permanently if done right......

We use an axe here on large birds.. you can always call and see if someone else can do it this way for you...

I have called both emergency animal hospitals here in town and they do nothing with chickens.

I am just beside myself. I have poured over $1500.00 in the last 30 days in Henry trying to save him and now this.

I know I have to let him go, and soon as he is suffering terribly now. i think my husband has resigned himself to be able to do it himself with a gun

DeeDee

Back
Top Bottom