Ever buy a treadmill?

jtbrown

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Southeastern Ohio
We are looking at treadmills, some decent prices on new but older models before the new ones come out before Christmas. Anyway, the salesmen are trying to convince us to pay delivery and set up (150 or so). We would like to bring it home in the truck and put it together ourselves.

We are fairly handy and I think we can carry it in between my husband and I. Anyone with experience either way? Horror or success stories? This is what we consider a fairly pricy item, so want to be reasonable if it is not something we can do ourselves.

Sorry to say you can get some pretty good deals on craigs list. Yes you can do it yourself and you can get the books online for most things if they don't have the manuals.

My husband bought one brand new from Walmart for around $200. Set up was not bad at all...except for the cats crawling all over it while we were trying to find parts...

It's still going strong five years later, although our children are the only ones who really use it anymore, and that's just for fun.

I do refuse to use it as a clothes hanger, though, because that's what everyone says you will wind up doing with it....and my neighbors actually do have one in their living room they use as a clothes hanger...
roll.png

But all in all, it is a good treadmill...and one of these days I'm gonna get back on it!

Craigslist is the way to go. I paid a fraction of the cost for one barely used. I wish you were closer and I'd give you a great deal on it!!

Thanks guys for the responses. I may look more on craigslist. My brother and his wife got one on craigslist and it seemed great, but would suddenly stop after 20 minutes, they got the manual, looked into service for it, and ended up cutting their losses and getting a new one.

I know that can happen with anything used and you take your chances. Just nervous about doing that. We have bought and sold many other things on craigslist without ever having a problem just makes me a little nervous with a treadmill. I will keep looking.

Knock kneed hen - I wish I lived closer to you too!

I got a nice treadmill at Busy Bodies. They have both new and used. The one I got was pretty old but great quality. It doesn't have all those programs, if you want to increase resistance you can, and it will count how far you went and how fast you're going. That's all I need, I don't need it to simulate hills and vales. After using cheap ones, I wanted to steer clear of Walmart specials. Even the ones I saw at Academy were junk. But this hefty, smooth running old thing is great!

Agreeing that buying barely used is a great way to go for a fraction of the cost of new. If the attraction to new is a warranty, even when buying new you still have to watch out for warranty details. The devil's in the details.
wink.png
Many will have a good sounding warranty on parts, but the catch is a shorter labor warranty. Labor cost alone can be ridiculous, no less getting it to a place for a covered repair.

A lot of times folks will go with an inexpensive used one, then, if they're still actually using it faithfully, say, after a year, opt for a higher dollar one. The classified ads are overflowing with barely used high dollar ones at a fraction of the cost. In the unlikely event that a almost new used one turned out to be a dud, one could still purchase 4 or 5 of those and still come out ahead over buying new.

Have fun.
smile.png
Treadmills are great.

My husband puts everything together and does a great job. I think you guys can handle it. You've just GOTTA follow the directions.....Or else, you'll get the thing together, only to find out you have this "extra piece"........
wink.png

We bought a Solo Treadmill 2 years ago online directly from www.solotreadmills.com It was the same model that was sale at Sears at the time, but it was cheaper in cost and Solo offers free shipping to your home (driveway). It was delivered by tractor trailer in a large box. We had to move it inside and assemble it ~ which was fairly easy.

Our treadmill is used daily (roughly 5 to 6 miles a day) and we have had zero problems with it in 2 years. It all depends how much you want to spend and the use it will get. A cheap one will not hold up to heavy / regular use. I think ours cost around $1000.

Back
Top Bottom