Evergreen Creek Farms: Blog and updates! *Daily Updates*

Update: 12-7-13:
  Winter, winter, winter, winter, winter....!!! :he  Winter has come, fast and hard on us. A few weeks ago we rescued another rabbit, "Oreo." Oreo is a mixed breed (most like a New Zealand/Mini Rex cross), so now we have 4 rabbits. Are doe, Crystal, who we expected to have babies didn't, which is a bit of a disappointment. Now onto the chickens...*sigh*. It's been so hard for them the last few weeks. It's been cold and windy, and even though the coops are fairly winter-proof, we've had to make some adjustments to it. First, we sealed the ventilation systems, second, we added a heat-lamp in there for warmth. It seems to  be working a little bit, although the water is still freezing so it's obviously reaching below freezing temperatures. My Cochin Bantam rooster (I still can't believe he's almost all grown up now!!!), has been having comb problems, so I have been putting avoe vera on his comb as I suspect he has frostbite. He seems to be doing better, besides the fact that call of the chickens are pecking at his comb and making it bleed. Alas, I'm counting down the days tell winter ends, it's so hard to take care of animals in frigid temperatures like this. I'm so thankful for all my animals, good or bad temperament. Besides the fact that there's a lot of work I've had to put into these days, I've been really happy and cheerful as I should be :) God bless! ~Brent
Great update! :) Good luck keeping your chickens warm! I hope your rooster's comb heals up soon. :)

Update: 12-7-13:
Winter, winter, winter, winter, winter....!!!
he.gif
Winter has come, fast and hard on us. A few weeks ago we rescued another rabbit, "Oreo." Oreo is a mixed breed (most like a New Zealand/Mini Rex cross), so now we have 4 rabbits. Are doe, Crystal, who we expected to have babies didn't, which is a bit of a disappointment. Now onto the chickens...*sigh*. It's been so hard for them the last few weeks. It's been cold and windy, and even though the coops are fairly winter-proof, we've had to make some adjustments to it. First, we sealed the ventilation systems, second, we added a heat-lamp in there for warmth. It seems to be working a little bit, although the water is still freezing so it's obviously reaching below freezing temperatures. My Cochin Bantam rooster (I still can't believe he's almost all grown up now!!!), has been having comb problems, so I have been putting avoe vera on his comb as I suspect he has frostbite. He seems to be doing better, besides the fact that call of the chickens are pecking at his comb and making it bleed. Alas, I'm counting down the days tell winter ends, it's so hard to take care of animals in frigid temperatures like this. I'm so thankful for all my animals, good or bad temperament. Besides the fact that there's a lot of work I've had to put into these days, I've been really happy and cheerful as I should be :) God bless! ~Brent
Yeah winter is coming here :/ Hop your rooster gets better :)

I must say I adore all your photographs of you feathered loved ones, I too hope to post some pictures of mine though mine are only taken with my cell camera. May I ask, Do you breed your chickens to sell? I have currently 19 chickens and mine are of different breeds but I'm always looking to find new ones to add to the mix. Thanks Jackie :]

I must say I adore all your photographs of you feathered loved ones, I too hope to post some pictures of mine though mine are only taken with my cell camera. May I ask, Do you breed your chickens to sell? I have currently 19 chickens and mine are of different breeds but I'm always looking to find new ones to add to the mix. Thanks Jackie :]
I don't breed at the moment, though I hope to start doing breeding in 2015.
Update:
To much has gone on...I installed a heat lamp in my coop. I'm getting rid of most of my flock soon. I'm keeping: Lily, Dannielle, Liz, Savannah, April, and Victoria. I hope to order 5 Mille Fleur d'Uccles from Cackle Hatchery in the next few months. I'm really sad right now. Ivan, one of my favorite chickens passed away yesterday :'(. I'm not sure how he died, I noticed his nose had some blood on it earlier in the day and he seemed kinda rundown but I thought nothing of it. I found him lying outside of the coop, dead later in the day. I cried, I buried him, and he'll be missed.

Back
Top Bottom