1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

every time i put my hand in the brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by incubatingisfun, Dec 16, 2009.

1. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    every time i put my hand in the brooder this one chick runs over and bites my hand suggestions what is this how to solve it

2. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    try putting some scrambled egg in that mean nasty hand. chickens usually look forward to your hand when it has treats in it.[​IMG]

3. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    That may be a little roo you have there. I had a chick like that this summer. He charged my hand everytime I put it in the brooder, the rest of them were fine with my hand. That chick grew up to be a rooster and still has the same attitude with me.

4. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    you he does kind of like a rooster that sucks if he is because i cant hae another rooster

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Take your finger and tap them on top of the head, like a peck from another chicken.

6. lady and her girls

lady and her girls Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    ohio
    vote roo

7. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    I just push them away gently when they do that. I've had the girls do it too- usually turn out to be very bold hens. Mine often run over, I have figured out, because my wedding ring attracts them. [​IMG]
    T

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree. [​IMG] This doesn't mean 'rooster' right away. I have a few adult hens that will peck my hand when I approach-usually because they think I have food or are curious. A peck or small bite is not a bad thing-just a tester-thing. If they actually attack your hand, though, that's another story. Chickens don't have hands to check things out-they have beaks. They will play with things when they don't know what they are or don't know what to make of it. If this is a rooster, he's probably just testing you out. Doesn't necessarily mean he'll grow up to be a demon. Just sounds like domineering behavior.

A small push or tap should deter this behavior as well as set boundaries. If this is harmless behavior as I think it is, they will learn that a plain hand with no treats and no business to them yeilds only a punishment and will learn not to do it anymore. But, if the behavior gets worse, other matters need to be taken.

9. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    One of my girls were like that when they were in the brooder, they are now 7 months old and she is just very out going to say the least. She will sneak up behind me when I am cleaning the coop and peck me on the back of my leg and run like crazy when I turn around. If I try to pick her up she runs away, but will let me hold her when push comes to shove. My daughter named her Sugarsnap, I think we call her Snappy for a reason....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by