Evil neighbor! Need to find the flock a new home. PICS Added

Lots of suggestions, lots of different attitudes.

I'm with those who recommend that you stand your ground - but do it with dignity and courtesy. If indeed the roosters become neighborhood noise nuisances, then you'll have to make a decision because those neighbors who are now on your side may change under the constant crowing.

Getting in people's faces and being confrontative and puntative can be fleetingly satisfying but it's not lasting. If you're legal and you are convinced that you are in the right; stand your ground. Your disagreeable neighbor will most likely give up under a barrage of legal work. People who haven't the courage to come to you in person but hide behind the anonymity of phone complaints generally back down.

We have to get along with people, even those who don't want to get along with us. One member had a great line on her posts that went something like this: "Anger and revenge are like taking poison and expecting someone else to die."

Good luck, but consider what someone said about the relative lopsidedness of your chicken numbers. You may start having roo fights and your hens will be very overworked.

Mary

Tell your neighbor to pound sand!! Start passing out some those fresh free range eggs to all your other neigbors! Remember you can not keep everyone happy, These folks sound like they are unhappy and they think they get to take out there frustration out on you. I would stand my ground and keep records!!!

I would replace one of the roosters with about 3 more hens. Maybe if you gave them 6 eggs a week they wouldn't complain about the one crowing so much. Plus if your roo to hen numbers are better they may not crow as much either. But who knows, every bird is different. But in our part of the woods, you'd tell your neighbor to go pound sand or to go fly a kite.

I'm sorry your neighbor is a jerk.
sad.png
I have one, too.

My vote is to replace 1 rooster with 1 (or more) hen. One of our neighbors -- ironically, the jerk -- had two roosters. For a good couple of weeks, the two roosters would compete, crowing back at each other, minutes at a time. They eventually got rid of them: Roosters are not legal here.

It could cut down on the noise just enough if you had one, rather than two. You're legal, so it's within your right to have your roosters; but if it will help keep peace with this jerk and prevent the fear of vandalism, it could be worth it. You don't have to tell him that you did it for him. Just let them know that "you're doing something to reduce the noise" and leave it at that. They'll notice the reduction of noise, hopefully will feel satisfied, and hopefully will calm the !@#$ down.

Last edited:
Oh, and come to his door. Yelling over the fence will just cause tension. It has to do with eye contact. Force him to speak to you as a human being, face to face. It will force him to use the manners his momma whipped into him.
thumbsup.gif

have to say that just because it's legal for you to have a rooster doesn't mean that you should have one in a subdivision if it's a noisy rooster. after all, my neighbor can have dogs legally, but that doesn't mean that the two that she legally has that bark at me every time i move don't bother me. i talked to her about it. they're still there, and they still bark, and it's still legal.

if you've talked to him about it, and he's still not happy, then i'd let one of them go and maybe both if they both crow a lot, because it's probably not legal for you to have them if they are a nuisance to your neighbors......that's my $0.02. that and $1.97 will get you a cup of coffee at your local coffee shop, maybe.

First thing...for the yelling husband. I would write a letter to him and mail it. In the letter I would tell him that I did not appreciate being yelled at and that I am considering it to be harrassment and will deal with it as such from this moment forward. Also, that if he wishes to speak with me about the rooster crowing ONCE at 10:30 in the morning, that being the only time he crowed, to feel free to call me and speak to me civil, as an adult. Should he fail to do that, he will get hung up on. Advise him that you will no longer acknowledge the rantings, yelling and rudeness from him and that he shall be ignored until such time as he can act and behave as an adult. I would also enclose a copy of the ordinance or law stating you can have chickens and a note signed by as many neighbors as you can get, stating that chickens are not a nuisance and they have no problem with them.

Secondly, never allow some idiot to force you to rehome your pets when the law is on your side. Let the neighbor shove his complaints up his wazoo. If you want to rehome one roo do so but do it for you not for the idiot neighbor.

Imadude: crowing once a day is not being "noisey"

Last edited:
Quote:
LMAO, that's too funny!

I'm with the rest of the folks on here. Stand your ground. The guy says it crows at all hours of the day-does he not have a job? His lack of maturity in initially addressing HIS issue leads me to believe that this is the type of person that will NEVER be satisfied and will always find something to gripe about. My only concern is if this should end up in court, that might prompt your town to change the law to banning poultry. Be prepared to have that as a final outcome. And I know it's a choice between having a neighbor against your back fence that you are not comfortable with (at best case scenario) and how that could escalate, to standing your ground and enjoying what you are legally entitled to enjoy as a homeowner in your town.

Here's an idea. If you have a garage, house the roos in there separately with sound proofing board around their cage. Tell the AC that you are going to allow them to free range with the hens in the back yard from 1-5 pm daily, or something like that. Allow them 4-5 hours of daily freedom, in the afternoon, when natural noise volume is at its highest in the day, and that should help muffle the roosters crows if they should decide to belt one out in honor of the weiner who lives next door. Perhaps not the most ideal situation for your roos initially, but after a while, say 6 months or so, that weiner with the crowing issue should have developed a desensitization to crowing and will be less likely to notice it. That's what I would do. Make a considerable and fair effort to appease, but do not give up your rights to own your poultry.

The only other suggestion I can think of is skunk roadkill dropped into his vehicle in the back seat. LOL, just kidding!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom