Exchequer: What is It?

BrindleFinch

Songster
Mar 31, 2018
Upstate, NY
So, please excuse the dumb question - but what exactly is exchequer, genetically speaking?

I really like the pattern, but I'm curious why I've only ever seen black based exchequer? Would the pattern show over the whole BBS spectrum? Or is it just a special case in breeding blacks?

I ask because I was just thinking about my California Whites - a hybrid leghorn x California grey - and I have been told they are exchequer based.

Next year, I'm planning on adding Sapphire Gems to my flock. I was just thinking how beautiful exchequer would look over their blue; but is that even possible?

I love the pattern, but the genetic calculator basically never shows it breeding true. Can anyone tell me why?

California whites are not exchequer based.
Exchequer is said to be mottling. Of course it doesn't look like any other mottled breed. It is then said it is simple mottled bred to have excessive white.
Exchequer can be on other patterns. There was at one time someone here with blue exchequer.
I have exchequer on barred and just hatched some exchequer on duckwing.

Thank you both so much! I'll definitely take a look at the links you posted, Muttsfan!

California whites are not exchequer based.
Exchequer is said to be mottling. Of course it doesn't look like any other mottled breed. It is then said it is simple mottled bred to have excessive white.
Exchequer can be on other patterns. There was at one time someone here with blue exchequer.
I have exchequer on barred and just hatched some exchequer on duckwing.

You're so helpful on genetics stuff - I hope someday I know as much as you! I love seeing you around the forums, thank you for answering.

Gushing aside, do you think that Sapphire Gems would be a viable breed for such a project?

My ultimate goal is a good forager who lays a nice amount of eggs - California Whites have been excellent foragers so far, and although I first thought I would go with Australorp-type birds to start my flock project, the California Whites leave me a lot more confident in their ability to stay away from predators. Assuming they fare okay in the winter here, I'll be using them as the basis for my next generations, I think.

The CW body style / personality comes first, of course, but my ultimate goal would be mottled or pied birds that are blue (/black/splash, obviously). However, having read your post on the Sapphire Gem thread, I was actually wondering if you had any suggestions for breeds that come in blue that would be better to use than Gems?

I can't hardly do breed recommendations. Because I'm too bias to leghorns. It would feel to much liking cheating on them.
If my want list had three things.... Blue color, lots of eggs and good at avoiding predators I would say Blue Andalusians.
They are a Mediterranean breed so they're what some say is flighty and lay white eggs. I do like Andalusians but that's the type of chicken I'm into.
I'm working on blue leghorns. They are the only leghorn project I have going at the moment that isnt 100% leghorn. I got the blue from an Andalusian but don't tell them that.
Sapphire gems are so full of unknowns right now. I'm following them myself to see how they turn out.
Maybe add more wants and don't wants to your list and we can figure out the best fit.

So, please excuse the dumb question - but what exactly is exchequer, genetically speaking?

I really like the pattern, but I'm curious why I've only ever seen black based exchequer
Genetically the Phenotype that is known as "Exchequer" is based on the Extended black e allele(E/E), as to what is the mutation that brings about the pattern, many scientist like Dr. Frederick Bruce Hutt(Circa 1940s) believed that the phenotype was caused by the autosomal recessive gene pied(pi/pi), but in the late 1980s renowned and exceptional scientist Dr. William Clive Carefoot confirmed that pied and mottling were one and the same by crossing Exchequer Leghorns with Ancona and produce intermediate mottling pattern.

Evidence that the mottled (mo) and pied (pi) plumage genes of the domestic fowl are identical. Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3446343

Interesting enough the Erminette Phenotype is quite similar to exchequer Leghorns(albeit a bit lighter). The Erminette patter is based on an Extended black(E/E) background with heterozygous dominant white(I/i+) so it does not breed true, if you breed two Erminette you will get 25% all White, 25% all black and 50% Herminette.

Source: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/erminette.1052718/page-2

Good info! I'd like to follow along to learn. :clap

I have an exchequer serama hen. Finally, after tons of chicks, have just hatched what looks to be another exchequer, and possibly male. Seramas are a whole different ball of wax, I know, but I'd still like to put these together and see what I get.

I don't know seramas at all but I have been hearing about and seeing them in exchequer pattern.
I'll be following you to see what you're getting with them.
I love exchequer but in the leghorns imo they are very poor to type and laying abilities (both the amount and size.) even the size of the birds is small.
I'm sure there are good ones out there but I've never found them.
Exchequer fascinates me but also has given me many a headache.
Every time I come across a chicken genetics expert I ask about them and there is so many different opinions.
Have have worked with both exchequer and mottled and just my opinion there is something different between the two.
I often think there's another gene involved with exchequers.
Something that causes change with the white.
Interesting the exchequer Xs mottled produced all chicks with a pattern in between the two.
I'm thinking exchequer has another gene and maybe the cross gave the offspring only one copy therefore the in between pattern.
Further crossing or back breeding would of been interesting.

Back
Top Bottom