Experience with saddled shaped air cells

Chicken12367

Songster
5 Years
Oct 11, 2016
UK
Hi, I’m currently on day 14 of incubating 11 shipped Orpington eggs, I candled today and all of the developing embryos seem to be thriving although some of them do have saddled shaped air cells. What are your experiences with saddled shaped air cells? Can they hatch successfully? Should anything be done differently? What humidity do you suggest? The air cells seem to be on track but in some eggs the air cell dips down more on one side than the other is that normal? My incubator holds the eggs upright, when I candled the embryo only filled the bottom portion of the egg is this normal?
Thanks in advance 😀

I don’t have the answer for you but give you a bump to the top Since you wait almost a week already.
How is the progress of your eggs?
Hi, the 11 eggs are currently at the end of day 19. I hear some faint cheeping. The saddled air cells seem to have improved over the incubation period and don’t look as bad now. Thanks

I have reached day Day 11 with my two pekin eggs. Sadly one died yesterday in the egg and I noticed that there was a blood ring a couple of days before so I suspected this would happen but I’ve certainly got two healthy chicks bouncing around in the other two eggs but we have saddle shaped aircells problems. My question is how should I hatch them as I have two broody chickens waiting but because of their saddle shaped aircells I’m really much happier hatching them in an incubator so the big question is once they hatch and if they do how can I introduce them to one of the broody chickens?

I have reached day Day 11 with my two pekin eggs. Sadly one died yesterday in the egg and I noticed that there was a blood ring a couple of days before so I suspected this would happen but I’ve certainly got two healthy chicks bouncing around in the other two eggs but we have saddle shaped aircells problems. My question is how should I hatch them as I have two broody chickens waiting but because of their saddle shaped aircells I’m really much happier hatching them in an incubator so the big question is once they hatch and if they do how can I introduce them to one of the broody chickens?
I’m in a very similar situation to you, I’ve got 6 eggs in the incubator 2 of which have saddled air cells and a broody hen outside waiting for some chicks. In the past I’ve hatched eggs with saddled air cells lying flat how they normally would under a broody and they did fine, I’m going to continue doing that as I find they hatch fine for me. This is also going to be the first time I’m going to introduce chicks to a broody. I’ve read that it’s best done at night when it’s dark. Then closely monitor the broody and the chicks in the morning, I’ve never done it before so still learning. Good luck with your eggs and broody!!

It is hard to make the right decisions for these innocent little chicks. Their lives rest on our decisions. I am hoping the chicks 🐣🐣 will be able to grow properly even with these awful saddle shaped aircells. I also need to decide which broody gets the chicks. Either the one called Apricot who hatched six out of six last Summer or her sister Lightning never hatched before?,.,?

My first ever hatch was a peahen called Blue

Attachments

• 6918260B-432E-450F-9BB1-147A83DAFB83.jpeg
    6918260B-432E-450F-9BB1-147A83DAFB83.jpeg
    502.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 90E10B98-F762-4394-B274-F79B7BA725DD.jpeg
    90E10B98-F762-4394-B274-F79B7BA725DD.jpeg
    371.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 67FAED3C-E7BF-48D2-BE50-0C31363F9C07.jpeg
    67FAED3C-E7BF-48D2-BE50-0C31363F9C07.jpeg
    531.6 KB · Views: 3
It is hard to make the right decisions for these innocent little chicks. Their lives rest on our decisions. I am hoping the chicks 🐣🐣 will be able to grow properly even with these awful saddle shaped aircells. I also need to decide which broody gets the chicks. Either the one called Apricot who hatched six out of six last Summer or her sister Lightning never hatched before?,.,?
If you give one of the hens both of the chicks what do you plan on doing with the other, get more chicks to give to the other? If not I’d stop her being broody now because she’d be sitting for no reason and losing weight

I know what you are saying luckily they are both coming out to eat and drink etc . When I got the eggs in the post as we no longer have cockerels both broodies were on and off so I could not trust them with the eggs

I know what you are saying luckily they are both coming out to eat and drink etc . When I got the eggs in the post as we no longer have cockerels both broodies were on and off so I could not trust them with the eggs
I had to do the same she kept going back to the wrong nest because another chicken was in hers. it’s still cold outside so the broody only had the eggs for a few days before I decided it’s better for them to be in an incubator.

Back
Top Bottom