Pics

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys!
We are getting a batch of 12 meat birds in the spring, I don't like to cull any thing, haha, so have made the family agree that I can keep 2-3 of the broilers, limit feed and do an experiment as keeping them for pets.
I need all of the tips I can get, how much should I feed them? Should I feed a certain amount in two sections, like breakfast and dinner, twice a day? Or is it okay to feed a larger, but still limited amount once a day? Will they do okay living with an all bantam flock? I'm assuming that will just have to be something I find out on my own though. My concern with that would be limiting feed, I would have to separate the broilers for their limited feed, and then feed the bantams.
They will be in an appropriately sized coop and pen with the bantams, so will have enough room to run around. All the info I can get, anything important I need to know, since all I can think of is limiting feed. We are designing the coop now so anything I need to add, or make special for the broilers, I can add to the design now. Thanks for any info! I'm very excited for this experiment!

Why do you want pet broilers? These birds really, really aren't meant for pets. There are far better breeds out there than broilers who don't live very long and end up suffering if kept past process date. They don't act like normal chickens and shouldn't be kept with a normal flock.
I've seen others do it before, they accidentally get meat birds and keep them. I've also seen people on those threads say they had meat birds for as long as they lived, and they had happy lives. If it truly is torture for the birds, I wont keep them, but I do want to hear more opinions first. I believe they could have happy lives.
I do appreciate the opinions though! :)

A lot depends on the breed of "meat bird" some of the Cornish cross are bred to be very fast growing, processed at 6-8 weeks. Some are advertised as "slow" whit broilers. Some of the "Red Ranger" or "Freedom Rangers" will live long and would make a good pet.
We aren't set on any certain meat breed yet, I can get a breed that you guys think will have a happier life, or do well on a restricted diet.
So far, we were thinking Cornish X. I have seen them do okay in other threads, and have also heard they are very friendly. They are most typical used for meat, so I would love to save a few of them if they will do alright and not suffer on a restricted diet. If they wont do good or will suffer, sit there, not have a happy life, I can choose another meat breed.

I have kept cornish cross for a couple years before. They were pastured and had no noticable problems like joint or ankle problems. The two I kept for a breeding project layed surprisingly well throught the warm months. They were really sweet and seemed happy. I loved to watch them lay down and eat. So funny.

All that said, I think a slower grower like a red ranger or black broiler would be a better pet choice. They get pretty fat but still retain more mobility. We had some horrendous hawk attacks on our cornish cross when they were free ranging. They were too fat for the hawks to pick up but they still tried and caused sugnificant gashes in their backs. If you do it keep us posted. Good luck.

We aren't set on any certain meat breed yet, I can get a breed that you guys think will have a happier life, or do well on a restricted diet.
So far, we were thinking Cornish X. I have seen them do okay in other threads, and have also heard they are very friendly. They are most typical used for meat, so I would love to save a few of them if they will do alright and not suffer on a restricted diet. If they wont do good or will suffer, sit there, not have a happy life, I can choose another meat breed.
Look at the thread titled "crossing my Red Rangers" to see some more info. I have a couple of the birds of the cross on that thread. The Red Rangers lived long enough to lay eggs for the next generation. Not as long lived as other birds. The NN pullet I have in this photo is from one of the Red Ranger x Dorking eggs, then that hen was bred to a NN rooster, resulting in my bird here. She is the hen behind the rooster in this photo. She is larger than the other chickens and lays pretty good, large light tan eggs.

Attachments

• IMG_5266.JPG
    IMG_5266.JPG
    921.3 KB · Views: 38
I've seen others do it before, they accidentally get meat birds and keep them. I've also seen people on those threads say they had meat birds for as long as they lived, and they had happy lives. If it truly is torture for the birds, I wont keep them, but I do want to hear more opinions first. I believe they could have happy lives.
I do appreciate the opinions though! :)
If you really want to do this, go ahead. No real harm in it if you are prepared for the fact the birds might end up suffering (especially if you get cornish).

I would strongly advise you not to keep them with your bantams, and instead make them their own pen. They could then have a special coop designed for them (maybe something like a doghouse because they don't roost), and feeding them would be easier. The bantams could then have free feed and not be in danger (if a broiler cockerel tried to mount a bantam, he would kill her).

This website has some tips on keeping and feeding cornish to keep them healthy: https://sshalimar16.wixsite.com/katiesplace/pet-cornish-x-cross-care-sheet

For a pet, you might want to look into these broilers (very specifically Ideal Poultry's):
https://www.idealpoultry.com/product/1305/0
https://www.idealpoultry.com/product/1275/0
I raised these, and they were docile and curious. They grew slowly and were terrible meat birds, but might be what you are looking for in a pet. Hens could likely be kept with bantams on free feed if they got enough exercise (cockerels were a bit agressive and could kill bantam hens for the same reason as the cornish).

ETA: Good luck with your experiment and I hope it ends well. Please keep us posted!

I have kept cornish cross for a couple years before. They were pastured and had no noticable problems like joint or ankle problems. The two I kept for a breeding project layed surprisingly well throught the warm months. They were really sweet and seemed happy. I loved to watch them lay down and eat. So funny.

All that said, I think a slower grower like a red ranger or black broiler would be a better pet choice. They get pretty fat but still retain more mobility. We had some horrendous hawk attacks on our cornish cross when they were free ranging. They were too fat for the hawks to pick up but they still tried and caused sugnificant gashes in their backs. If you do it keep us posted. Good luck.
Got it thank you! I will probably decide on what is available as well, whatever is at TSC for meat options my be our decider, that will likely be Cornish X.
I think I would prefer to go for the Cornish X, since they are rely kept as pets, and I know I would be saving one.
I'm happy to hear that they free range happily, free range and seem to have a happy life if raiser correctly! I really appreciate this info. Thanks!

I have raised some of the Cornish-X white meat birds. If you want to keep them, I think you would have to put them on a restricted diet from about 3-4 weeks of age -- and not keep them with bantams, the bantams would never get any food! I full-fed mine and by 10 weeks they were not walking very well, and were over 10 pounds -- dressed out! For eating, they were the best! YUM. But I would treat a pet differently. They are very mild mannered, the layers picked on them and I had to separate them. I raised them with the layer chicks in the brooder until they were 4 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom