Experimenting with a few meat birds as pets

I would strongly advise you not to keep them with your bantams, and instead make them their own pen. They could then have a special coop designed for them (maybe something like a doghouse because they don't roost), and feeding them would be easier. The bantams could then have free feed and not be in danger (if a broiler cockerel tried to mount a bantam, he would kill her).
This makes sense, this is exactly the info I am asking for so I can be prepared for everything when it happens. I have a small coop without roosts I can add a run to on the outside for them, so I can defiantly work out a separate coop for them.

I wil select 2-3 femels as adults though, so I definelty wont keep the whole flock of meat birds in with the bantams. I will actually raise the meat bird first, pick out my two and feed them small amounts. Then, we will butcher the others, and I will get my bantams and put them in the run and coop the meat birds used to be in. I was wondering if I could keep my two Cornish X in with the bantams after butchering the others.
If that still doesn't work then I can make then there own coop as well. Thanks for all the help!

I have raised some of the Cornish-X white meat birds. If you want to keep them, I think you would have to put them on a restricted diet from about 3-4 weeks of age -- and not keep them with bantams, the bantams would never get any food!
If I did keep them with the bantams, I would not offer free choice food. I would put no feed in the coop during the day, and separate the meat birds when I gave them there restricted amounts, and then give the bantams the amount they need. Once everyone was done eating, I would put them back together, that is who I would have to do it.
It would be more difficult that way then just having a separate area for the meat hens, so I will see if I can get them there own coop. Thanks!

I wil select 2-3 femels as adults though, so I definelty wont keep the whole flock of meat birds in with the bantams. I will actually raise the meat bird first, pick out my two and feed them small amounts. Then, we will butcher the others, and I will get my bantams and put them in the run and coop the meat birds used to be in. I was wondering if I could keep my two Cornish X in with the bantams after butchering the others.
If that still doesn't work then I can make then there own coop as well. Thanks for all the help!
Bantam chicks are so tiny, I would not keep them in with the older Cornish-X.

I full-fed mine and by 10 weeks they were not walking very well, and were over 10 pounds -- dressed out! For eating, they were the best! YUM. But I would treat a pet differently. They are very mild mannered, the layers picked on them and I had to separate them. I raised them with the layer chicks in the brooder until they were 4 weeks old.
Got it, I don't want them getting picked on either, so that is good info.
I would feed them resticedly there whole ives if I had to. Not offer free choice feed, but instead give them a just as much as they once a day.

Bantam chicks are so tiny, I would not keep them in with the older Cornish-X.
I would raise the bantam chicks separately, then do a slow introduction with the bantams when they were fully grown. I wouldn't' put the chicks and adult Cornish together. If the adult bantams were going to pick on the adult cornish after tine introduction, then I would separate them in different coops.

If I did keep them with the bantams, I would not offer free choice food. I would put no feed in the coop during the day, and separate the meat birds when I gave them there restricted amounts, and then give the bantams the amount they need. Once everyone was done eating, I would put them back together, that is who I would have to do it.
It would be more difficult that way then just having a separate area for the meat hens, so I will see if I can get them there own coop. Thanks!
Young banty chicks need food available all the time. They only eat a tiny amount at a time -- very frequently! The older and larger Cornish-X could be fed 2 times a day and turned out to pasture to forrage in between. As adults, they could share the pasture with adult bantys. Bantams are very fast and would run rings around the Thundering Dino Cornish-X! :lau

Got it, I don't want them getting picked on either, so that is good info.
I would feed them resticedly there whole ives if I had to. Not offer free choice feed, but instead give them a just as much as they once a day.
They need all their food as babies, just like other chicks. They were keeping up until about 4 weeks, feathered out, but the layers got faster, the Cornish got fatter!

Young banty chicks need food available all the time. They only eat a tiny amount at a time -- very frequently! The older and larger Cornish-X could be fed 2 times a day and turned out to pasture to forrage in between. As adults, they could share the pasture with adult bantys. Bantams are very fast and would run rings around the Thundering Dino Cornish-X! :lau
Yes, the banty chicks would be separate as babies, and have free choice feed.
Lol! They would totally run circles around them! Hahah!
I think I will look into separating them, that will be easier, and work better. They can free range together when I can watch the Cornish to make sure their doing good. Thanks so much for all the tips guys!
How much should I feed the Cornish a day?

They need all their food as babies, just like other chicks. They were keeping up until about 4 weeks, feathered out, but the layers got faster, the Cornish got fatter!
Got it, so free choice feed as chicks until about 4 weeks. Once a month old start restricting? I'm glad I started this thread, you guys are very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom