Experimenting with a few meat birds as pets

Pics
I got 3 cornish x in mid Sept from granddaughters fair project. These were replacement to sooth my broken heart, my entire flock was killed on Sept 3rd. She had 25 total, I kept 3, the rest butchered and weighed out average of 6 lbs @ 8 weeks, so born mid July. It was a drastically learning experience with my 3. They don't roost or even try to get off the ground, so made them a roosting spot ( 2ftx4ft plywood on bricks) they use. Restrict food to a cup morning and night, scatter it out instead of a feeder (make them walk, scratch for food). Let them free range. They drink alot of water. Got first egg in January. Then 2 eggs on same day. I get 2-4 eggs a week. They survived our texas freeze. Biggest one (22 lb) got slower and less active, finally to the point I would have to pick her up to go in run (step was brick high), still eating laying. Got a massive double yolk egg from her and she passed away next day very peaceful head tucked. Got 6 chicks from tsc 3 weeks ago, to start my flock back. Still getting 1-2 eggs a week from my 2 cornish. Got another large egg, noticed 2nd biggest not active, she had tried to lay a massive egg, and prolapse, literally egg tangled up and prolapse hanging about an inch from vent to tangled egg. I euthanized her immediately. She weighed 21 lbs.
Currently, 6 3 week old chicks and 1 cornish x. Got an egg yesterday, took babies outside, cornish x immediately ran to fence and started clucking cooing. I know she's lonesome, still healthy and prowling the weeds. It has been a very different experience from reg chicken keeping. I will not get cornish x again.View attachment 2591520
That is a huge egg! I also would not keep them as pets. They are not long lived.

I know that you want a certain measurement of how much to feed them, but all I can suggest is to give them what they can eat in ~15 minutes, then let them forage in a good place like a compost pile. Then at night another 15 min feeding, all they can eat in that time. They will fill their crop in that time, and go to bed full.
That is kinda what I've been doing. The first day I started restricting, I put 3/8 cup of feed out for them to eat. I came back in 15 minuets and it wasn't finished. I took it away, and fed a little less the next morning. I have been keeping the feeding at 3/8 rather then the 15 minutes, because I want them to loose a little weight. As far as I could tell, they seemed a little chubby when I stared restricting, but I'm starting to up there feed again after a few days. Their bodies seem to be looking good!
Thanks for the advice, once I get them to the proper weight, I'll do the 15 minutes, thanks!

Hi guys! Its been awhile since I've done an update, but so far, the two are doing good!
It looks like Doodle and Smudge are both girls. They are super active, every morning I have to scoop shavings out of their water, and they will chase me all over our huge yard because they are hungry lol! They will run after me, peck my feet, and forage some. They are super friendly, and their bodies seem to be in really good shape!

Other then that, I have one concern, I'm a bit concerned about Doodle. Today I let her out and she seemed fine, I went out to check on her and Smudge. (I am putting them out in the tractor with the others during the day, and in for dinner and breakfast at night. I take the food away from the others when they're out.) I locked them out of the tractor while I gave the other 13 the chance to eat. She was all puffed up with her head tucked in in the, "I don't feel good" posture. I thought she may be cold, so gave the others a few more minutes, then took the food away and put her under the light.
Tonight when I brought her and Smudge in she was still puffed up. She doesn't seem as active, but I will see how she is doing in the morning, but any ideas? I let her eat for 15 minutes, and really got concerned when she was standing puffed up next to Smudge, while Smudge actively ate the food. I put a handful full of feed in front of her, and she eat it, but when I sprinkled it a few inches from her, she showed no interest. I'm definitely concerned, I'll tell you how she looks in the morning. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hi guys! Its been awhile since I've done an update, but so far, the two are doing good!
It looks like Doodle and Smudge are both girls. They are super active, every morning I have to scoop shavings out of their water, and they will chase me all over our huge yard because they are hungry lol! They will run after me, peck my feet, and forage some. They are super friendly, and their bodies seem to be in really good shape!

Other then that, I have one concern, I'm a bit concerned about Doodle. Today I let her out and she seemed fine, I went out to check on her and Smudge. (I am putting them out in the tractor with the others during the day, and in for dinner and breakfast at night. I take the food away from the others when they're out.) I locked them out of the tractor while I gave the other 13 the chance to eat. She was all puffed up with her head tucked in in the, "I don't feel good" posture. I thought she may be cold, so gave the others a few more minutes, then took the food away and put her under the light.
Tonight when I brought her and Smudge in she was still puffed up. She doesn't seem as active, but I will see how she is doing in the morning, but any ideas? I let her eat for 15 minutes, and really got concerned when she was standing puffed up next to Smudge, while Smudge actively ate the food. I put a handful full of feed in front of her, and she eat it, but when I sprinkled it a few inches from her, she showed no interest. I'm definitely concerned, I'll tell you how she looks in the morning. Any ideas? Thanks!
Could it be coccidiosis? I know that’s a very common issue with chicks.

Could it be coccidiosis? I know that’s a very common issue with chicks.
That is immediately what I thought. I didn't want to jump to conclusions until I saw odd poo's, but now thinking about it, I did see a poop last week that looked off. I didn't know if they looked bloody, but I was keeping an eye on it, and haven't see anything since. I'll check for odd poops in the morning and tell you what I see. Thanks

Hmm, now I'm wondering if its dehydration. I switched to a 1 gallon waterer a week ago when I put the 13 outside. I have a 2 cup chick waterer in the brooder for Doodle and Smudge. I didn't realize how fast the 13 go through water, and they must have finished up the water I put in yesterday. Today was the first 50 degree day, and I didn't realize they were out of water for about half the day. Maybe the warming temperatures and loss of water is the issue. I looked up the symptoms and it sure seems like she is dehydrated according to google.
When I brought them in there wasn't much water in the little waterer either, so I just filled that up with Electrolyte and Probiotic water, and they are definitely drinking it. I'll see how she looks in the morning, but she seems to be displaying the same symptoms. I'm crossing my fingers its just a mild case of dehydration, but even if it isn't, I'm switching to the 5 gallon waterer tomorrow. ;)

I didn't want to jump to conclusions until I saw odd poo's, but now thinking about it, I did see a poop last week that looked off. I didn't know if they looked bloody, but I was keeping an eye on it,
Start the Corid now. Do not wait. Coccisiosis can kill in a hurry. Not all that have coccidiosis have bloody poop.

Starting Corid now will not hurt, even if it is not coccidiosis. You still need to observe in case it is something else, but treating will not hurt them. It could save them.

Start the Corid now. Do not wait. Coccisiosis can kill in a hurry. Not all that have coccidiosis have bloody poop.

Starting Corid now will not hurt, even if it is not coccidiosis. You still need to observe in case it is something else, but treating will not hurt them. It could save them.
Got it, I actually don't even have Corid on hand, but I will order it and it should be here soon. I will do that for sure. Thank you!

Are going to be able to pick up Corid tomorrow. These guys are the best I feel so bad for her. All of them will chase me around the yard, and I have stepped on their feet and kicked them by accident plenty of times, because they run between my legs lol! I would post a video of them, but no Youtube.
I really hope the Corid helps and I have the right diagnosis. Thanks for all your help guys!

Back
Top Bottom