Experts please HELP. Need advise asap SICKNESS?

I agree with others comments, vitamins, electrolytes are so important in summer.

Checking for bumble foot mat be worth while as well, there are MANY good threads and articles on diagnosis and treatment of that staph infection too.

Stop any treats, human food, etc for a week or 2, sounds like too many treats. Reducing human levels of salts in important. We eat too much and chickens are very sensitive to salt - and have way higher blood sugar than peoplw. I never feed "prepared" human food to chickens. It comprises their immune systems.

If you do antibiotics - consider that your also killing all the good bacteria in their guts. Some of the suggestions had good vitamins, we also use unflavored- yes plain - yogurt and sea kelp powder for pets ( petkelp) to boost immune systems. About 1 - 2 tsp yogurt and 1/8 tsp kelp per bird daily. We sprinkle dry feed onto and mix in to help get them to try. Some love it right away, so need encouragement.
Antibiotics won't solve most problems with chickens. And there are soo many downsides to them. We don't NEVER use them but are very cautious.

Also how often do you clean droppings, change bedding, have you ever sprayed chemicals in their coop or yard?

Another cause of this could be chemical or environmental toxins.
Mold, garden chemicals, pesticides are all possible dangers. Lawn fertilizer can also kill birds.

Chickens are small and react strongly to small amounts.

Has anything been used in the yard, run, coop???

Ty for asking.

Here is my answers to help.

Feeding: 2 feeders in coop. 1 feeders has layer crumble, 1 has starter Grower crumble. Both Purina. They have access all day

Treats: they get scratch grains in the morning. Plus a mix of fresh veg and fruit scraps. Today, pasta salad.

Amount of treats are whatever I toss in yard. They get it first thing as they exit the coop in the morning. That way I can clean it and feed without tripping over anyone.

They are free ranging from 8am-8pm every day. The coop has windows and ventilation. It's 13 feet by 9ft for 20 birds. Ages 14 months down to 4 months.

They are silkies and don't really roost, but I do have 2 roots just in case, 1 foot high and 2 foot high.

They show the same type of symptoms. Starts like a slight limp, progressed to a full limp, catching itself with a wing to get balance. Eats/drinks but gets to the point where it can't walk, sits and after a bit, ends up on one side, not able to right itself.

Hope that helps
I HIGHLY recommended that you stop feeding scratch daily.
I also highly recommend stopping other treats too.

Every time your birds eat the scratch and the other treats that you're offering you're taking away from them getting a balanced diet.

A balanced diet is extremely important for preventing vitamin deficiencies which can be deadly.

I agree with others comments, vitamins, electrolytes are so important in summer.

Checking for bumble foot mat be worth while as well, there are MANY good threads and articles on diagnosis and treatment of that staph infection too.

Stop any treats, human food, etc for a week or 2, sounds like too many treats. Reducing human levels of salts in important. We eat too much and chickens are very sensitive to salt - and have way higher blood sugar than peoplw. I never feed "prepared" human food to chickens. It comprises their immune systems.

If you do antibiotics - consider that your also killing all the good bacteria in their guts. Some of the suggestions had good vitamins, we also use unflavored- yes plain - yogurt and sea kelp powder for pets ( petkelp) to boost immune systems. About 1 - 2 tsp yogurt and 1/8 tsp kelp per bird daily. We sprinkle dry feed onto and mix in to help get them to try. Some love it right away, so need encouragement.
Antibiotics won't solve most problems with chickens. And there are soo many downsides to them. We don't NEVER use them but are very cautious.

Also how often do you clean droppings, change bedding, have you ever sprayed chemicals in their coop or yard?

Another cause of this could be chemical or environmental toxins.
Mold, garden chemicals, pesticides are all possible dangers. Lawn fertilizer can also kill birds.

Chickens are small and react strongly to small amounts.

Has anything been used in the yard, run, coop???
Thanks for the detailed response! No chemicals. We are very serious with our health and safety.

The coop was cleaned about 3 weeks ago. Dropping board every other day.

I hate to do antibiotics and I understand gut health is so important. I'm struggling and it's a last ditch effort.

Im not sure what's causing the symptoms. I've had chickens for years and never had deaths caused by veggie and fruit scraps. Something is happening here and I'm very worried. Limping, falling over then not standing at all then dying. I've checked bumble foot. This seems to be quick. Happening within about 48 hours from start to death. That's why I'm scrambling I think. Using everything I got.

Usually you get time to help them get better and it's taking them quickly.

I don't want "conformation bias" but I feel so hopeless I'm just expecting its a disease 😔

I HIGHLY recommended that you stop feeding scratch daily.
I also highly recommend stopping other treats too.

Every time your birds eat the scratch and the other treats that you're offering you're taking away from them getting a balanced diet.

A balanced diet is extremely important for preventing vitamin deficiencies which can be deadly.
That's great advice. Ty!

Sounds like you are trying and maybe do have some issues with this batch.
We've been there too, but with turkey poults.
It's so hard to know how to treat every thing that comes up.
Did you confirm with the hatchery that they did in fact vaccinate for your order? The 1 I order from has it as an option at check out.

Try to clean up your food processes, many have commented in pieces and parts.
Your healthy adult birds may have to be fed separately.
To summarize: for the young ones
Remove all scratch
No treats of any kinda, at all
Stick with only chick starter until they are staring to lay.
Add poultry cell, vitamins formulated for chickens at recommended doses
Add electrolytes
Add yogurt and /or probiotics
Clean waterers daily when using additives mentioned above.

Sometimes we get unlucky, I too have had what felt like unexplained losses. Our farm ife isn't always easy, but worth it.
Good luck

Here's another, limit corn and corn products in hot weather - it creates body heat in digestion and stresses them when it's hot.

Sounds like you are trying and maybe do have some issues with this batch.
We've been there too, but with turkey poults.
It's so hard to know how to treat every thing that comes up.
Did you confirm with the hatchery that they did in fact vaccinate for your order? The 1 I order from has it as an option at check out.

Try to clean up your food processes, many have commented in pieces and parts.
Your healthy adult birds may have to be fed separately.
To summarize: for the young ones
Remove all scratch
No treats of any kinda, at all
Stick with only chick starter until they are staring to lay.
Add poultry cell, vitamins formulated for chickens at recommended doses
Add electrolytes
Add yogurt and /or probiotics
Clean waterers daily when using additives mentioned above.

Sometimes we get unlucky, I too have had what felt like unexplained losses. Our farm ife isn't always easy, but worth it.
Good luck

Here's another, limit corn and corn products in hot weather - it creates body heat in digestion and stresses them when it's hot.
❤❤❤ ty so much!

Back
Top Bottom