Extreme “wry” tail?

I clicked on your name and seen this thread- I wonder, how old is your pullet that you suspect has wry tail? I’ve heard this from a licensed judge last year about wry tail. This applies to Serama but Japanese bantams are part of the makeup of Serama. He said that when birds are under a year old don’t count them out. Of course being very hereditary you wouldn’t want to breed until you know for sure. But often times the youngsters will seemingly have wry tail because the muscle that colds the tail up isn’t developed yet. He said he’s seen so many birds that people write off as wry tail and after they fully develop there’s no trace of it. Typically this applies to the roosters with Serama because they have much bigger and taller tails than the females. But with Japanese bantams the female also has a relatively big and heavy tail so I’m sure it can apply in some cases. Also of note, with the Malaysian or extreme Serama (one in the same really) when in full pose, both male and female have their tail off to the side. The more extreme the worse it is. And I’ve seen birds win champion of show (tabletop) that have tails like this. There’s literally no where else for the tail to go. Not very relevant to your question but related and interesting IMO. Keep us posted on this cute little hens tail. I, for one, am very curious as to how she’ll turn out.

Oh last, I don’t Blame you one bit for not wanting to leave Bird’s at a show venue- I seen that you commented and said that. Unless you are 4H age you have the option of taking them at night and I always do whether it’s home or back to a hotel room , but you’re right about it being stressful! They frown on that but it’s all so much for the birds. And when Your hands on - like you are with tabletop birds, they tend to be very attached to you specifically- to one person and in Addition, I don’t trust people not to take them I have heard horror stories about that.

I clicked on your name and seen this thread- I wonder, how old is your pullet that you suspect has wry tail? I’ve heard this from a licensed judge last year about wry tail. This applies to Serama but Japanese bantams are part of the makeup of Serama. He said that when birds are under a year old don’t count them out. Of course being very hereditary you wouldn’t want to breed until you know for sure. But often times the youngsters will seemingly have wry tail because the muscle that colds the tail up isn’t developed yet. He said he’s seen so many birds that people write off as wry tail and after they fully develop there’s no trace of it. Typically this applies to the roosters with Serama because they have much bigger and taller tails than the females. But with Japanese bantams the female also has a relatively big and heavy tail so I’m sure it can apply in some cases. Also of note, with the Malaysian or extreme Serama (one in the same really) when in full pose, both male and female have their tail off to the side. The more extreme the worse it is. And I’ve seen birds win champion of show (tabletop) that have tails like this. There’s literally no where else for the tail to go. Not very relevant to your question but related and interesting IMO. Keep us posted on this cute little hens tail. I, for one, am very curious as to how she’ll turn out.

Oh last, I don’t Blame you one bit for not wanting to leave Bird’s at a show venue- I seen that you commented and said that. Unless you are 4H age you have the option of taking them at night and I always do whether it’s home or back to a hotel room , but you’re right about it being stressful! They frown on that but it’s all so much for the birds. And when Your hands on - like you are with tabletop birds, they tend to be very attached to you specifically- to one person and in Addition, I don’t trust people not to take them I have heard horror stories about that.
Thank you! Shes 3-4 months old. Thats very interesting. I didn’t know that!
I will be sure to keep everyone posted if it seems to go back to being normal.

Back
Top Bottom