extreme bloody poop

Metalace

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Talladega, AL
found one dead white leghorn today. Noticed alot of bloody poop, one really sick hen and a few more that look sick. I've read a few books and i think its that word that starts with a c. I've never had problems with illness b4. So besides that c word illness what else causes bloody poop? How do they get it? I've not added any new flock and they stay inside there pen. How do I cure them? Will the sick ones live?

It's called Cocci. I think you can treat it with something called Sulmet. That's the limit on my knowledge of it. Hope someone else comes along to give you more help.

I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you that your chickens get better.

What you describe is almost certainly Coccidiosis-it's a Protazoa not that that matters. The organism attacks the chickens gut wall causing the bleeding.
It is treatable with Sulmet or Amprollium and treatment needs to start immediately. You may or may not be able to save the ones that look sick-thr disease progresses very rapidly. The ones that survive will be immune to future infection.
To answer you how questions:Cocci is in the environment. It's carried by wild birds and is in the ground waiting for a host. Whenever I put young birds on the floor from the brooder I give them a reduced dose of Amprollium for a week. This allows them the acquire the Cocci organism w/o becoming ill-they are then immune.
Now, stop reading and go buy some medicine-Sulmet will probably br easier to find. Don't let anyone sell you an Antibiotic-they won't coue Coccidiosis.

well I bought some and put a lil more than it said. Made the sickest one drink alot. Wish I had checked em more and I wouldn't have lost the one that liked being helt.

Last edited:
I didn't have good luck with Sulmet last year. I had to use Albon to knock it out the second time. My sickest bird perked up with Albon within 2 days.

Give them some dry powdered milk also. It will help their intestines. Just pour it in their feed pan.

Back
Top Bottom