I just watch the level, if it goes down they are eating it :D
If I get soft/thin shells, someone is not then I sprinkle.
full
Okay, so you wall mounted that onto what material? My walls are solid pine and I don’t know if that makes a difference, just wondering how I would take it down to clean. The cable tie looks tight; would I have to replace it each time?

Okay, so you wall mounted that onto what material? My walls are solid pine and I don’t know if that makes a difference, just wondering how I would take it down to clean. The cable tie looks tight; would I have to replace it each time?
It's ziptied to hardware cloth...have never taken it down to clean...but ziptie is the kind you can undo without cutting and I have moved one of them a couple times.
Lots of other ways to attach small cup feeders.....thinking.

No, I’m not sure she is eating it. I’m not sure how to catch them in action! What is fermented feed and can you tell this is my first year, ever, with chickens? lol

I guess I spend a lot of time watching mine (not necessarily extra time, just while I do my daily feeding and cleanups I keep an eye on behavior) and so I know which hens eat oyster shell enthusiastically and which seem to not be as interested. Since I supplemented a specific bird and got good results, I know that at least for that one bird, I need to trick her into consuming it.

Fermented feed, this is a good FAQ on it: https://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/ As with everything else, folks who ferment all handle the process a little differently, based on what works for them. I do a very simple version of it: water + feed in a gallon glass jar, and let it sit 24 hrs+. I'm used to eyeballing the ratios to get a result that's like very thick oatmeal. When the jar runs low, I just add more water and feed ("backslopping") and continue on.

I try putting it in bowls so I have more of an idea how much is being eaten but these are the “big girls” who usually turn it over (and everything else not nailed down). Any recommends on a feeder that they won’t be able to tip over in their enthusiasm?
I have 2 "bowls" that my MIL gave me when she gave me my first 2 hens (one for oyster shell and one for grit). They are just the bottoms of some kind of plastic juice jug that she cut down and left a little tab a little long on one side and it just gets screwed into the board on the wall. Because it is up a bit, it stays pretty clean, but if need be I can just use the drill driver to take the screw back out and clean it.

I’m glad you said that about egg eating because that’s all I’ve been told, to never let them have eggshells or any uncooked egg if you don’t want raging cannibals. I’m so crazy to avoid it that I spend time washing off any hard-boiled eggs I peel for them to avoid getting even the tiniest fragment of shell! I’m scared to try but I could start with my loving couple and see if they have any problems. If they are okay, I can segue to the big girls coop and see how that goes. Thanks!

chances are good that they will someday get a taste of raw egg regardless of how careful you are... if they lay one with a soft shell, there is always a chance it will break before you get it out. I have had that happen a few times with new layers and none of mine break and eat good eggs.

Back
Top Bottom