Eye goop, how do I get rid of it?

I posted early on (post 9) to use permethrin once and then at 7 days for mites, or at 10 days for lice. DE is very harsh in eyes and lungs, both to you and your chickens. It won’t treat an outbreak. Please read this link and look at pictures of lice, the eggs, and mites, and what to look for.

Ok, permethrin is the usual treatment and a chicken breeder probably knows better than I do how best to treat mites.

As for Carol if she's under a year she might not molt the first winter. Otherwise being in your room could have thrown her off a bit. Normally shorter days and colder weather trigger molting.
She’s way under a year, but wouldn’t she “molt” because of the lice? She’s come in and out of the house frequently due to just having bad health I suppose, she’s been injured once before and the other times she just needed a bath so she’s used to moving in and out, I keep her next to my window to keep her from getting too warm

I posted early on (post 9) to use permethrin once and then at 7 days for mites, or at 10 days for lice. DE is very harsh in eyes and lungs, both to you and your chickens. It won’t treat an outbreak. Please read this link and look at pictures of lice, the eggs, and mites, and what to look for.
I use the DE for dust bathes, not on their face only, it’s a powder form which might be the only one but I heard it will help prevent lice from nesting on them if they don’t already have it and keep them from nesting in their area, so I mix it with their sand and where they dust bathe under the coop when it’s warmer out then just last night I rubbed it into their feathers just to be sure if any of them have it they won’t get it.

I will read that, completely forgot about it

I fixed her other eye so now she can see out of both. All the lice is in her hair, seems to be the tiny round ones they’re all over me(I read that like is Species-specific so it’s fine)
E268AFE9-3725-4581-ACE6-4B3A822EBF9F.jpeg
E57637EF-215C-4151-8610-94648DBF2826.jpeg
9599130A-7A56-4825-B755-03AC5E0B8951.jpeg

She’s way under a year, but wouldn’t she “molt” because of the lice?
No, lice won't make her molt. If she's that young she'll probably skip the usual fall molt that adults go through until next year as she should have molted pretty recently around 3-4 months old.

Are all those white spots moving? Or could it be eggs that you dislodged while dusting her? I've never seen that many lice on a chicken and I think they are more oval than round...

Here's a website you might find useful:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

No, lice won't make her molt. If she's that young she'll probably skip the usual fall molt that adults go through until next year as she should have molted pretty recently around 3-4 months old.

Are all those white spots moving? Or could it be eggs that you dislodged while dusting her? I've never seen that many lice on a chicken and I think they are more oval than round...

Here's a website you might find useful:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/
Her skin and hair is all black, so all the white are eggs or something from the lice, some of them are moving but they’re not white more of a black. We are in Alaska so maybe it’s different here? I think lice could’ve been brought in on Babs who died a few weeks ago, she was my Pavlovskaya and wasn’t about 4-5months old when she died so it’s the only reason I could think of

Seems to be these ones

Attachments

• 18F171AE-8E0B-4745-B4A9-9AED93F35EE4.png
    18F171AE-8E0B-4745-B4A9-9AED93F35EE4.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Her skin and hair is all black, so all the white are eggs or something from the lice, some of them are moving but they’re not white more of a black. We are in Alaska so maybe it’s different here? I think lice could’ve been brought in on Babs who died a few weeks ago, she was my Pavlovskaya and wasn’t about 4-5months old when she died so it’s the only reason I could think of

Seems to be these ones
Sorry about Babs.

Since Carol is all black you can't tell how she's doing by the color of face the way you can with most chickens, and with that many mites/lice I'm guessing she'd look really pale if she could. I'd get her some vitamins to help her perk up after being so eaten up. Or mealworms are also high in iron if you have some. Let us know how she does once she's over the mite infestation.

Sorry about Babs.

Since Carol is all black you can't tell how she's doing by the color of face the way you can with most chickens, and with that many mites/lice I'm guessing she'd look really pale if she could. I'd get her some vitamins to help her perk up after being so eaten up. Or mealworms are also high in iron if you have some. Let us know how she does once she's over the mite infestation.
We have PLENTY of mealworms, nearly three boxes of them. Should I open my iron supplement capsule and put it on her food?
I will! Thinking about her symptoms she does act quite anemic

We have PLENTY of mealworms, nearly three boxes of them. Should I open my iron supplement capsule and put it on her food?
I will! Thinking about her symptoms she does act quite anemic
Be careful with human supplements because chickens are small and while anemia is bad so is iron poisoning. If you don't want to get a chicken supplement I'd stick with feeding her the usual "balanced" chicken feed (layer pellets or whatever), maybe some scrambled egg, and a nice helping of mealworms.

Be careful with human supplements because chickens are small and while anemia is bad so is iron poisoning. If you don't want to get a chicken supplement I'd stick with feeding her the usual "balanced" chicken feed (layer pellets or whatever), maybe some scrambled egg, and a nice helping of mealworms.
We have a store real close by that sells a ton of chicken supplements so I have no problem getting there just have to find time.
Is the egg better cooked than raw? For them

Back
Top Bottom