Eye infection? Pink eye? What’s wrong?!!?

Feb 17, 2021
Somewhere down in Texas
Hi everyone,
My Ayam Cemani has something wrong with his eye. He’s 10 weeks old and I just got him on Wednesday. Yesterday he started shutting his eye a lot, and today there’s a bit of white pus in the corner today. Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong with him. Thanks.

Attachments

• 59DF6517-B396-4973-A1CD-BB31A703DDDB.jpeg
    59DF6517-B396-4973-A1CD-BB31A703DDDB.jpeg
    430.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 6EF4F99D-4F18-4179-9CD0-D267F1CB6C0A.jpeg
    6EF4F99D-4F18-4179-9CD0-D267F1CB6C0A.jpeg
    574.3 KB · Views: 8
He may have come with a case of conjunctivitis from a respiratory disease or he could have been pecked in the eye, or gotten an infection from debris in his eye. Bubbles pus or watery eyes are common with MG (mycoplasma.) I would clean the eye with saline and remove any pus or gunk. Apply a dab of Terramycin eye ointment twice a daily.

If there is any head shaking, nasal drainage, sneezing, or rattly breathing, it may be MG, and oral antibioticsmay be needed. However, these diseases may infect your other chickens for life, making them carriers. New additions can also get diseases when they enter a flock, and some symptoms may occur within 2-10 days or more.

He may have come with a case of conjunctivitis from a respiratory disease or he could have been pecked in the eye, or gotten an infection from debris in his eye. Bubbles pus or watery eyes are common with MG (mycoplasma.) I would clean the eye with saline and remove any pus or gunk. Apply a dab of Terramycin eye ointment twice a daily.

If there is any head shaking, nasal drainage, sneezing, or rattly breathing, it may be MG, and oral antibioticsmay be needed. However, these diseases may infect your other chickens for life, making them carriers. New additions can also get diseases when they enter a flock, and some symptoms may occur within 2-10 days or more.
He is separated from all my other chickens and the only symptoms he has are bubbles and pus in his eyes, other than that he acts normal and eats and drinks fine. I just hope he gets better. I did saline solution earlier and will do it again soon or later today.

I agree that it looks like the start of mycoplasma gallisepticum. You said he is seperated but did you ever introduce him? Hopefully not. He willbe a carrier for life and infect your others if put with them so that's something to consider. For now I would just keep him warm. If he starts to show other symptoms then you can treat with antibiotics but honestly, I would bring him back and never buy from that breeder again.

I agree that it looks like the start of mycoplasma gallisepticum. You said he is seperated but did you ever introduce him? Hopefully not. He willbe a carrier for life and infect your others if put with them so that's something to consider. For now I would just keep him warm. If he starts to show other symptoms then you can treat with antibiotics but honestly, I would bring him back and never buy from that breeder again.
What causes this?

The way that many people bring a disease into their flocks is by buying birds from others. There are a number of respiratory diseases sucg as MG, coryza, ILT, infectious bronchitis and a few others. Each has similar symptoms. With the eye drainage and pus with a swollen eyelid, MG is the most common. If there is a bad odor, coryza could be the cause. He could have been pecked in the eye, but you are taking a chance on this. Once a respiratory disease comes into a flock, you will be dealing with it untill all birds die off. Most people then either close their flocks to new birds, and can never give away or sell birds or hatching eggs. Or they cull their birds. Testing can be done to identify the disease, or a necropsy by the state vet if the bird dies or is sacrificed. The easiest thing would be to return the bird. Be very careful handing this bird, and then going to care for you others. Handwashing, changing shoes and clothes between them is best. Here is a good link about common diseases including the ones above to read about:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Hi everyone,
My Ayam Cemani has something wrong with his eye. He’s 10 weeks old and I just got him on Wednesday. Yesterday he started shutting his eye a lot, and today there’s a bit of white pus in the corner today. Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong with him. Thanks.
Who sold him to you?

Back
Top Bottom