Eye Infection

briecardosa

Songster
Mar 12, 2019
Encinitas, CA
First year with six chickens I raised from babes in February. This is Gracie the blue Wyandotte, she seems to be the first to have any kind of problem, thankfully she's also the most cooperative...

She's otherwise healthy and even laid an egg today. Yesterday I noticed the closed eye and picked her up to examine and she opened her eye, it was clear, so I assumed she just had some dirt or whatever. Today eye is closed, dripping and when she opens, it's white and cloudy. Only other observation is her poop watery with green chunks.

Today I applied Tomlyn Opticlear Sterile Eye Wash for dogs and cats..it says it flushes dirt. Did I make a mistake? What else should I do?

All the other hens are fine. They free range. San Diego.

Attachments

• IMG_20200120_134453.jpg
    IMG_20200120_134453.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 22
Terramycin $27.99
Oral Antibiotic $56.00

Condition of eye is worsening after 5 days Terramycin and 4 days oral antibiotics.

$500 to remove the eye. If he doesn't find an obstruction and decides to take her eye, she will require another round of antibiotics. This vet is known to be expensive but the location is convenient and I don't have a lot of time... plus it can be hard to find avian vets at all around here.

Just leaving this info in case it helps someone else.
So sorry. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom