Eye infection?

cleoandtheflock

Crowing
Jan 16, 2019
Georgia
Howdy fellow BYCers!
My lovely EE hen olive has something strange sticking out in the corner of her eye it is very slightly bubbly. Is it part of her nictitating membrane? Is it infected? Did her eye get stuck on something? And is it serious?
Thank you.
5420C111-4078-4D15-85E7-0F937FE90979.jpeg

Howdy fellow BYCers!
My lovely EE hen olive has something strange sticking out in the corner of her eye it is very slightly bubbly. Is it part of her nictitating membrane? Is it infected? Did her eye get stuck on something? And is it serious?
Thank you.
Try flushing her eye with saline, press gently on the eye to see if there is pus or debris/something stuck in the eye that needs to be removed.
It can be from a number of things.

Once you flush the eye, you can apply some eye ointment or plain neosporin.
Bubbles in the eye can be an indication of respiratory disease like Mycoplasma, let's hope she got poked in the eye or something is in the eye.

Have you added any new chickens to your flock in the last few weeks or have you ever had respiratory symptoms in your flock?

Try flushing her eye with saline, press gently on the eye to see if there is pus or debris/something stuck in the eye that needs to be removed.
It can be from a number of things.

Once you flush the eye, you can apply some eye ointment or plain neosporin.
Bubbles in the eye can be an indication of respiratory disease like Mycoplasma, let's hope she got poked in the eye or something is in the eye.

Have you added any new chickens to your flock in the last few weeks or have you ever had respiratory symptoms in your flock?
where can I buy saline? (online of course)
I have added chickens in February. And respiratory symptoms were in my flock a while back.
she has always been very healthy.
I hope its not Mycoplasma!
I will check in after I check it further.

i gently pressed it.
i found a bit of dirt under the eyelid.
it moved whenever the nictitating membrane did.
its very soft and puffy.
and not bubbly at all.
hmm.

where can I buy saline? (online of course)
I have added chickens in February. And respiratory symptoms were in my flock a while back.
she has always been very healthy.
I hope its not Mycoplasma!
I will check in after I check it further.
i gently pressed it.
i found a bit of dirt under the eyelid.
it moved whenever the nictitating membrane did.
its very soft and puffy.
and not bubbly at all.
hmm.
Yes, you can buy saline online or in stores. You likely are under a shelter in place order so you may want to make your own. https://www.healthline.com/health/make-your-own-saline-solution#how-to-make-it

If you found dirt under the eyelid, then flush well a couple of times a day, try to remove the dirt and see if that takes care of the swelling.
If it persists let us know.

I hope it's not Mycoplasma or some other respiratory disease - if that is something you have dealt with earlier this year, it's a possibility, so keep watch for any other symptoms.

alright i'm going to make a saline solution homemade, thanks for the recipe.
I doubt it mycoplasma but i'm worried about respiratory diseases.
I got some dirt out last night and when I checked her eye this morning the swelling had gone down.
I will keep y'all updated
:)

So I too am having an eye issue with one of my hens.... her cornea seems to have swollen up almost over night. And no apparent injury has occurred.... I can't find anything online anywhere about what this could be! She has NO other symptoms at all!

Attachments

• 20200810_105420.jpg
    20200810_105420.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200810_105412.jpg
    20200810_105412.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200810_105519.jpg
    20200810_105519.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200810_105450.jpg
    20200810_105450.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200810_105448.jpg
    20200810_105448.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200810_105445.jpg
    20200810_105445.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200810_105424.jpg
    20200810_105424.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 5
So I too am having an eye issue with one of my hens.... her cornea seems to have swollen up almost over night. And no apparent injury has occurred.... I can't find anything online anywhere about what this could be! She has NO other symptoms at all!
Try flushing the eye with saline and pressing to see if there's debris or pus that can be removed. You can find Terramycin eye ointment at stores like Tractor supply, I would also put that in the eye.

Back
Top Bottom