Eye Issue

neyco

Hatching
May 19, 2017
I have a young pullet, around 4-5 months old. We noticed her eye was shut and thought maybe something got in it so we flushed her eye with saline eye wash. When her eye was pulled open it was milky looking, not puss more like cataracts. Looking closer we see that she also had a little swelling so I put some terramycin on it and started giving her Tylan 50 orally. There is no discharge or trouble breathing. She acts totally normal even roosting at night.

It has been 6 days of treatment and no improvement still cloudy and slightly swollen. I have stopped the Tylan but should i continue with the terrmycin or try something different since it does not seem to have changed? Thanks for any help.

Can you post a picture of her eye? How much and how often are you giving the Tylan50? You can give a 5 pound chicken 1.5 ml 2-3 times a day for 5 days. If there is any gunk in the eye, it may need to come out. Eye disorders can be a result of respiratory infections, infections, injuries, cataracts, Mareks disease, vitamin A or E deficiency, or from past exposure to avain encephalomyelitis. This video is quite distrbing, but shows how to get thick puss out of an eye during an infection:

I can get a pick this evening. The swelling is not that bad just slightly larger than the other side. I was giving 1ml of the tylan 2 times a day orally. There does not seem to be anything else that leads me to think respiratory infection, no discharge, bubbles, smell, or breathing difficulty and only this chick effected. I think since these young ones (10) have been trying to establish themselves in the flock that it is most likely result of physical damage and now has started to get infected.

Just and FYI, they were raised by broody and stayed with the flock the entire time just like all previous clutches with the mother hen protecting and integrating them. Most fighting was among themselves none that I saw with adults.

Attached are a pic from each side of her. In the one you can see the milky white eye and not much swelling. Sorry for the delay in the pics.

She is holding it open more now, last week she kept it closed. Should I be doing anything else or just let her be from here on.

Attachments

• 20180914_181051.jpg
    20180914_181051.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20180914_181109.jpg
    20180914_181109.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 4
I would try to remove that white material off of the eye, and use either Terramycin eye ointment or neosporin into the eye twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom