Eye worm or infection?

Terryjr

Chirping
Jun 30, 2020
I'm new, like very new. So far so good with the exception of one of my ISA Brown hens. 12weeks old, has had an eye thing developing. No other odd behavior and she's not paying any attention to it. Feeding medicated starter feed still, water is rain collected. 11 other birds, none seem effected yet. Allowed to free-range since about 8 weeks

Attachments

• 20200630_181132.jpg
    20200630_181132.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200630_181157.jpg
    20200630_181157.jpg
    430.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200629_095159.jpg
    20200629_095159.jpg
    770.5 KB · Views: 18
Have you added any other birds into your already existing flock? Where did you get your birds; hatchery, Craigslist, breeder, farmer?
Has your hen been scratching her eye?

These are tractor supply day old chicks from Easter. The hen has not scratched at eye. There are actually 4 more but I don't think they were a cause. Kept seperate and just introduced a couple days ago. They were to make up for the 3 roosters I'll need to rehome, they were bought as 6 Easter egger sex link females. Got not what I bought.

The eye issue is probably been going on for close to 3 weeks. Gradually getting to where it's at now.

My first thought when I saw the eye was mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) This is why I asked you the questions in my previous post to determine if you unknowingly introduced a disease via different sources into your flock.
MG easily spreads to other birds and this hasnt happened in your case. Just for your information, another sign of MG is bubbles in the corner of the eye where the tear duct is located.
It might be just a local infection. Apply Terramycin eye ointment in her eye twice a day for 5-7 days and see if there's improvement.
untitledter.png

My first thought when I saw the eye was mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) This is why I asked you the questions in my previous post to determine if you unknowingly introduced a disease via different sources into your flock.
MG easily spreads to other birds and this hasnt happened in your case. Just for your information, another sign of MG is bubbles in the corner of the eye where the tear duct is located.
It might be just a local infection. Apply Terramycin eye ointment in her eye twice a day for 5-7 days and see if there's improvement.
View attachment 2221037

I will try that, thank you

I'm noticing today the swelling us much larger. Applying terramycin. Should I consider lancing it? I'm just afraid that if it's blood and not puss that it could create some issue both for healing and being pecked

Well I lanced it. I good bit of clear fluid and then some blood. Reapplied terramycin. I expected more of a reaction from the chicken as I made the cut, but nothing,bloke she didn't even feel it. She's stayed in the coop afterwards, roosted early on a lower roost by herself. Just checked on her again, the Lance has healed but swelling is still there.

Tomorrow morning I leave for Maine. Mother in law is coming to check on them but my setup is pretty low maintenance. She may need to just fill the feed hoppers towards the end of the week.

Back
Top Bottom