Eyes Swollen shut/ mucus in both nostrils/ raspy breathing thru mouth

You can do this! Had I known these procedures I could have saved one of my girls in the late winter last year.
So, if it doesn't stink does that mean there is no puss?
You can do this! Had I known these procedures I could have saved one of my girls in the late winter last year.
So, if it doesn't stink does that mean there is no puss?
Hey there THANK YOU SO MUCH for the encouragement cuz goodness if I stop moving or cleaning I’m sure I’ll break down In tears at this point lol I just love my birds so very much❤️ and im not sure about the “stink” and what it means but I’m guessing if there’s no smell then that’s a good thing🤷🏼‍♀️ cuz as of today he doesn’t have any smell coming from him at all and he’s more perked up…but I am unsure the best way to give meds orally so I’m hoping you or someone can tell me, yes I’ve watched videos on YouTube and stuff but for me it’s way easier for someone to walk me through dispensing his tylan orally, sine they have the opening n their mouth it just makes me really nervous so if ya got any tips for giving the meds orally please let me know I’m trying to read thru some material that hopefully can give me a better understanding of what to do / what not to do so send good vibes please. And thank u again for rhe encouragement🙂

I usually will hold the chicken in my left arm and open the beak with my left hand slightly squeezing the beak or pulling down on the wattles to open it. I will give as much as 1/2 ml, and then release and let them swallow. Then repeat until gone. You can also use a small syringe without the needle to give the medicine down into the back right side of the throat. Here is a picture that shows where:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

I usually will hold the chicken in my left arm and open the beak with my left hand slightly squeezing the beak or pulling down on the wattles to open it. I will give as much as 1/2 ml, and then release and let them swallow.
This is also the easiest way I've found, except for one of my girls who becomes absolutely possessed when I try to open her mouth: thrashing around even though wrapped in a towel and throwing her head every which way. She's impossible. For her I usually get her to eat the medication soaked into some bread... Never given tylan that way, but can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work. Only potential issue I've had is that if the medicine tastes really bad, the bird might stop eating the bread. Then you have to force feed the rest because otherwise you don;t really know how much medicine it's gotten.

This is also the easiest way I've found, except for one of my girls who becomes absolutely possessed when I try to open her mouth: thrashing around even though wrapped in a towel and throwing her head every which way. She's impossible. For her I usually get her to eat the medication soaked into some bread... Never given tylan that way, but can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work. Only potential issue I've had is that if the medicine tastes really bad, the bird might stop eating the bread. Then you have to force feed the rest because otherwise you don;t really know how much medicine it's gotten.
Love the idea of soaking it in the bread cuz I’ve got a couple that are absolute maniacs when they’re confined or even think they’re gonna be confined for 5 seconds😂 as of today I’ve given it just by injection and I increased My Roos dose to a little over half a ml yesterday and boy did it make such a difference!!! His eyes are both completely open and hardly any foam/drainage coming from either, and he’s not having any draining from his nose either, and somebody suggested to look in top of his mouth to see if there was any mucus there and I did get that cleaned out too too yesterday and BOY IM IN SHOCK how much better he is today, he hasn’t been eating and I’ve been having to use a dropper to get pedialyte down him and Today he drank over a cup of pedialyte all by his self, he didn’t want the dropper and went straight for the little bowl I was using and I almost started crying😆🤷🏼‍♀️🥰 I’m just so happy he seems to feel so much better and getting better day by day, thanks to all the great advice, help, suggestions from everybody on here. Definitely couldn’t have done this on my own without everyone’s help so Thanks to everybody!!! I’ll keep updating as we go!!! 🥰🥰🥰🥰

Way better today, the others just started showing the symptoms so I’m hoping I caught it early enough that they shouldn’t get as bad as my Don Roo that was so bad….and both of the others have very minimal swelling on 1 side only, and no drainage. And are still eating and drinking fine 🥰 thank goodness. Now that I’ve got meds going and them in quarantine, all I can do is pray and keep doing what I’m doing.

Ok so I’m back again🤦🏼‍♀️ and this is probably a dumb question but since I’ve got 3 roosters and 4 hens all with MG apparently, can I pen them in my small pen/coop all together instead of having them all quarantined in seperate individual dog crates? Cuz Im trying my best to get this crap nipped in the bud since it seems to be spreading and I’m FREAKING OUTTTTT😬😬😬😬😬 PLEASE HELP.

Back
Top Bottom