Eyes swollen shut, puffed out

Gabo

Hatching
Apr 20, 2015
Austin,TX
One of my Ayam Cemani pullets has both eyes swollen shut as pictured below. It's been about two days like this and I've been mixing up food and water with some electrolytes and feeding her via syringe as she can't see her food and water. I had a silkie that had this on one eye and I just isolated it for a few days and it cleared up on its own. I've isolated this one and started doing .5 cc injections of Tylan 50 once a day (started the night before last so she's just over 24 hours on that) and rinsing eyes and applying Neosporin but I'm not sure if this is the best form of treatment. Suggestions or knowledge to pass my way?

Thanks

Last edited:
It could be infectious coryza or MG (mycoplasma,) 2 common respiratory diseases. Does she have a bad odor around her head? If there is pus in her eyes, it needs to come out. Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment are both good ones to use in the eyes. You can get testing done to find out what you are dealing with, since many respiratory diseases are chronic, and can make carriers of your flock. Here is a good link to read about respiratory diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Haven't sniffed her head but didn't notice a bad smell while giving her water. I'm not planning on expanding the flock or selling/trading/giving away birds so I'm not terribly concerned about them being carriers.

Would you recommend continuing the Tylan 50 treatment in addtion to Vetericyn or Terramycin?

If I don't see an improvement in the next couple days I'll probably just cull her.

Haven't sniffed her head but didn't notice a bad smell while giving her water. I'm not planning on expanding the flock or selling/trading/giving away birds so I'm not terribly concerned about them being carriers.

Would you recommend continuing the Tylan 50 treatment in addtion to Vetericyn or Terramycin?

If I don't see an improvement in the next couple days I'll probably just cull her.

Yes I would continue the Tylan 50 for a total of 5 days. You can also give it orally once a day in addition to the injections.

Back
Top Bottom