Facebook drama

I have WHAT in my yard?

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Eggberg, PA
Yesterday DH saw a status update on one of his coworkers. The message was kind of vague. DH thought it referred to something going on at work so he responded in kind.

A few hours later there were responses from several people asking the OP what he meant. Then, out of no where this woman went on a rampage! Obscenity filled screaming rant about her own failing marriage and how the OP was a dirt bag for putting her personal life on facebook. Nasty mean stuff spewing her problems into cyberspace. Time went by and then an obvious friend of the ranting woman joined in the bashing. Then the first woman decided she understood a vague numerical reference and was even madder!

Other people joined in both encouraging her and telling her to chill out. This went on for hours.

Finally, the OP came back on and said "Wow, I have no idea what you are talking about this was about work. The number was a number of hours worked per shift. Now you put all of your own stuff out there not me, but I suggest you end this."

She didn't. Her friend didn't.
roll.png

This is what it got me thinking: We all periodically hop on the crazy train. (OK so I have a year round pass....
cool.png
) But, now we have the chance to allow our travels on the crazy train to be broadcast for all the world to see. Total strangers to her watched her melt down for no reason.

The OP posted another note this morning to his coworkers apologizing for this woman's language and inappropriate messages. Her insanity embarrassed him in front of his co-workers. Only a few years ago her rant would have been over the phone, maybe left on an answering machine, limited to him and her. Now, it could effect his job.

We have boundaries in our lives for a reason. Have separate facebook accounts for different circles of people, use different names aliases. Your friends should not have the chance to talk directly to your co-workers, and sometimes your family should not overhear what your friends have to say!

Even the google CEO said young people will have to change their names to escape their cyberpast!!
barnie.gif
hide.gif

All they had to do was delete the offenders comments and ban that person from posting on their page. Also, privacy settings allow you to chose who can post on your comments, such as friends only.
If the OP really didn't like the drama, she could have put a stop to it!

Quote:
How do i check my settings? I've tried..and i cant figue it out...
What should the settings say?
barnie.gif

What difference does it make WHICH forum you post your personal problems on? I see it on here all the time. People posting "I need advice" are, to me, the WORST. Unless its advice about chickens, this shouldn't be the place to seek counseling.
My well intentioned advice MIGHT just be the reason some unstable person hurts themself or someone else. I think the psychological counseling is better left to the so-called profesionals. If you know the person and have a level of friendship/trust, PM them. Better yet, pick up the dadgum phone and call them.

Doesn't EVERYONE know, whats on the net, no matter how protected, is still PUBLIC? People are losing jobs all the time for things they post online thinking its private. And todays problem can/will come back to haunt you for YEARS to come.

Quote:
barnie.gif

Go to Account in the upper righthand corner, then click privacy settings, once on privacy settings click customize and you can control who sees what and who does waht!

The OP was asleep! He worked an overnight shift and this all happened the next day. He has of course deleted it, but many many people had followed the events while he slept. And he did not log on immediately upon waking, he had no cause.

This actually is why I prefer posting on sites like this. I can be more open in some cases because you don't know me in real life.
wink.png

Quote:
barnie.gif

Go to Account in the upper righthand corner, then click privacy settings, once on privacy settings click customize and you can control who sees what and who does waht!

Thanks! So if i want ONLY friends..(not friends of friends..
roll.png
..) to be able to see my posts and write on my wall...
What do i need to set my settings as?
*sorry to be a pest..*

We had facebook drama last week. Kids (well, in their 20's now) I have known since they were babies acted like idiots on my son's page. Their step dad read it and chewed them out. Their mom started defending them, saying they did nothing wrong, blah blah blah...well things escalated so far that step dad kicked mom of the obnoxious brats out of the house! Yeah there was more going on than facebook, but it was a final straw kind of thing.

Back
Top Bottom