Fairly certain a neighbour's cat just killed one cock and three hens.

JonInNorway

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 5, 2011
I'm in Norway, I have Eagles, Owls. Hawks, Foxes etc. nearby but am 90% certain a neighbour's cat has just killed at least 4 of the rare breeds I've been trying to preserve plus a chick earlier in the summer. This cat has a collar on so it probably goes home and lies on a sofa and has a bowl of food waiting for it. I've never had a problem with any predator but like my hens to run free. This cat has wrecked a few years of breeding. I deliberately let my hens live quite wild since I'm certain that promotes healthy progeny and since they managed to cope with the other wild threats, I never worried. It makes me want to get a pet Puma to eat feral cats. How mad that the biggest danger you chickens face is someone else's pet.

hugs.gif
Sorry about your losses. That is kind of scary, to think someones pet could do something like this! If you are sure, and can find out who owns said cat, let them know, and tell them to please keep their cat inside!!

What I hate most is I know there was some really rare and valuable DNA destroyed. Anyone can keep rare breeds alive under lights feeding them rubbish in rooms but these were as healthy and vital as anything on the planet and they're gone .... for what? One reason I keep chickens is I never wanted a pet that eats other animals ... these were Vorwerks, Norfolk Greys and Welsummers ... am I supposed to make the hens' home cat proof just because a neighbour can't control their beloved cat? My house lies in 8 acres so this cat has some range

Time ... is the problem. I have to work too. It costs me money if I don't work and instead, wait for a cat to show so what? I run after it? Try and catch it? People make sure their dogs are IN at night whilst cat owners put their cats OUT and have no idea what they're up to when they're away from their "home".

It makes you wonder to what extent you are allowed to impact on other peoples' lives through your pets. Would it be OK for me to have a pet Bear that eats neighbours? ;-)

b.hromada :

Thats a lot of land, and its yours for your chickens and whatever you may want on it. Hopefully, you will be able to find out who owns it, and get this taken care of.
hugs.gif

Thank you. That's the idea. I could build big sheds and fill them full of garbage hens eating garbage food producing garbage eggs but, instead, I try and preserve something someone years ago spent a long time breeding in a great environment .... and it all falls down because of a pet cat. I lost two Norfolk Grey hens, a pure Vorwerk hen, a pure Vorwerk cockerel (my son's favourite, he was in tears when I told him on the phone) It's dark here and chucking down with rain. The rest of the flock seem to be scattered around various perches in the barn or hiding under bushes I presume. I'll see what else is alive when it gets light again.​

Does Norway have live traps? If the cat has a collar maybe it has ID tags. Then you can talk to the owners and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom