Fairly new chicken mama with a sick chicken

MomofCFER

Hatching
Mar 28, 2017
Fairly new chicken mama with a sick chicken

Elsa my New Hampshire Red has been acting strange for the last 2 days. She has been shaking her head a lot and puffing up all of her feathers and tucking her head in. So I started reading a lot of forums about what could be wrong. It seemed like she had impacted crop so I gave her olive oil, water with apple cider vinegar, massaged her crop and isolated her. My other hen Rapunzel (my daughters picked these names...lol) was also pecking Elsa in the head. I checked Elsa's crop today and it feels flat and soft now. So from what I have read this should mean that everything has passed along and since her crop is not bulging and squishy she should not have sour crop. However, she is still puffing up her feathers. She is eating, drinking and moving around like normal so I am not sure what is wrong. Would someone be able to shed some light on this situation?

Last edited:
Have you tried to inspect her throat and tongue? She may have swallowed a foreign object that has lodged in her throat. Sometimes a hair will get wrapped around a tongue, or a wire will stick in the throat. Chickens swallow the strangest things.

Don't rule out ear problems. Look for foreign objects there, too.

I did not find anything in her mouth or ears. Her crop seems normal, but she is still puffing up around Rapunzel (my barred rock) and Rapunzel keeps attacking her. I have been keeping her isolated and feeding her small portions of laying pellets mixed with water and making sure she is drinking lots of water in case for some reason she still has impacted crop or sour crop. Her poops are very runny, but so are a lot of Rapunzel's so I am not sure what to think. She is still laying eggs and I am curious as to whether they are safe to eat. Does anyone know about this?

I did not find anything in her mouth or ears. Her crop seems normal, but she is still puffing up around Rapunzel (my barred rock) and Rapunzel keeps attacking her. I have been keeping her isolated and feeding her small portions of laying pellets mixed with water and making sure she is drinking lots of water in case for some reason she still has impacted crop or sour crop. Her poops are very runny, but so are a lot of Rapunzel's so I am not sure what to think. She is still laying eggs and I am curious as to whether they are safe to eat. Does anyone know about this?
Can you post a video of her?

How long have you had them?
How old are they?

Both have runny poop - can you take a poop sample to your vet for testing of cocci and worms?

Back
Top Bottom