Fairy Tail Farms English Orpingtons

Pics
I haven't taken any photos of them in a while, and so far the young cockerel hasn't figured out how to actually do the deed. So all the eggs have been clear. They breed like any Andalusian Blue with BBS. Isabelle requires Lavender. Oddly the blacks produced are called "Brown-reds" not black, but that's the only weird thing.

Google Image Search:

View attachment 2583390 View attachment 2583391
Oh they're lovely! Definately adding them to a wish list!

So shortly after getting the Silver-laced Orpingtons I thought to myself, "Wouldn't these be pretty in Blue?" The longer I thought about it the more I decided I was going to do it. I remember Suede, @speckledhen's beautiful Orpington rooster fifteen years ago, and all the other gorgeous BBS Orps that were on the forum. And then I saw @Faraday40's gorgeous Blue Silver-laced project Orpingtons she's working on and decided I had to have some. I started scouring Facebook and Craigslist hoping I could find some quality birds without having to ship them in. As luck would have it I stumbled across someone that was selling out of all their birds and I picked up a six month old pair; a black pullet and a gorgeous blue cockerel. I also brought home a younger blue pullet and a chocolate pullet because "chicken math". Since then I have added some additional BBS bloodlines from some other breeders. The cockerel that replaced Suede after his unfortunate end by the American Buff gander, as well as the Blue and Mauve pullet carry Mottled which I didn't know until adding them into the breeding pen and hatching their first set of chicks, so I'll be working with mottled birds in the future.

These are the pictures from the sale ad where I found them.

View attachment 2460731View attachment 2460732View attachment 2460733

Here are Dahlia and Suede with some Silver-laced when they were all sharing a pen last winter.

View attachment 2460734

The parents of my original Chocolate pullet:

View attachment 2460730

Dahlia (Black), Agatha (Blue), Dorcas (US Lavender), and Prudence (Chocolate) enjoying the new barn when I moved them while waiting for Suede to return from his convalescence:

View attachment 2460735

The replacement cockerel and some new girls from another local breeder:

View attachment 2460728View attachment 2460729View attachment 2460736View attachment 2460737

I am hoping that breeding the new male over Suede's to original hens that were from the first breeder will produce some darker, big blues like Suede and the younger birds you see in the sale ads. My current blues are much lighter. And of course I'll have to see how the mottling plays out. I've added some Black Mottled/Lavender Mottled chicks that should be ready to breed in the late spring. I'm undecided if I want to try to get the Mottled birds in their own pen and keep one line without it.

Agatha, the original Blue pullet produced the F1 Blue Silver-laced pullets that are finally reaching laying age. I realize I have no good pictures of them, so I'll see what I can do to remedy that, provided the weather stays decent.
Nice Setup. Beautiful Chickens..

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

But I think I did it.

1617380625332.png

1617380638560.png

1617380649862.png

My first F2 Blue Silver-laced Orpington. It's pretty cute. :)

Back
Top Bottom