Fairy Tail Farms English Orpingtons

Pics
Well I haven't updated here in a while. I've been busy with work and the birds outside when I'm not at work. Spring is definitely underway. All the birds think they need to go broody. Several Orpingtons, two turkeys, both Buff geese, and a few mixed girls. I've been hatching out a ton of babies.

I went to an event this weekend and sold out, which was nice. Oddly no one wanted any Black Orpington chicks. I had them marked at $10 each and sold a few once I marked them down to five. I sold the last 17 for $60 just so I wouldn't have to bring them home and feed them.

1621279782138.png

The event staff were wonderful and they've been relaying compliments from the staff and the guests. Apparently we were the most talked about booth according to the messages I've received from them. I wish I had the ability to bring more birds and have a really big set up. I felt silly with one table in a 10x20 area.

Well I haven't updated here in a while. I've been busy with work and the birds outside when I'm not at work. Spring is definitely underway. All the birds think they need to go broody. Several Orpingtons, two turkeys, both Buff geese, and a few mixed girls. I've been hatching out a ton of babies.

I went to an event this weekend and sold out, which was nice. Oddly no one wanted any Black Orpington chicks. I had them marked at $10 each and sold a few once I marked them down to five. I sold the last 17 for $60 just so I wouldn't have to bring them home and feed them.

View attachment 2674287

The event staff were wonderful and they've been relaying compliments from the staff and the guests. Apparently we were the most talked about booth according to the messages I've received from them. I wish I had the ability to bring more birds and have a really big set up. I felt silly with one table in a 10x20 area.
Awesome!

Colt, how do these birds handle your temperatures? I’ve always been hesitant to introduce birds that aren’t exactly heat-hardy to my flock because even my heat tolerant birds struggle with our summer temps.

@ColtHandorf
Nice display. The neat organized appearance, table cloth, and floral décor really makes your table stand out.

I only do chick sales from home, but yes, the blacks don't sell as well. To me, they are far more stunning than the lavenders, but people don't realize that when looking at chicks. Perhaps take some of your best pics and make 8x10s, showing what they will look like as adults, to place on the side of each cage. OR Make a couple poster collages to stand on ground below the table.

..... Let them drool over the gorgeous beauty of the English Orpington. :drool

How are those lemon blue Cochin going? And how's replacing the white Orpington male going?
Ughh. Nothing. My big dumb SLO cockerel got into their pen somehow. I'm not blaming him, but the new LB cockerel I brought home was limping and dropped dead. One hen is broody on infertile eggs I'm sure. The others aren't laying.

I think I have two little White cockerels. Which is exciting. A little too young to know for sure. BUt I just adore the white babies. They are so sweet and fluffy.
despicable me fall sweater GIF

Colt, how do these birds handle your temperatures? I’ve always been hesitant to introduce birds that aren’t exactly heat-hardy to my flock because even my heat tolerant birds struggle with our summer temps.
They normally do pretty well. They have a barn with a concrete slab in half of the enclosed area. So lots of shade. Last year I did lose a hen to what I can only assume was heat stroke. She was so hot when I picked her up it was alarming. I ran her inside and gave her a luke warm bath to lower her body temp and she passed. No one else had issues. I did turn a sprinkler on their runs every day for a couple of hours to wet the dirt so they could cool off when they dusted. They actually did worse in the -9 degree temps and the snow this early spring we got.
Nice display. The neat organized appearance, table cloth, and floral décor really makes your table stand out.

I only do chick sales from home, but yes, the blacks don't sell as well. To me, they are far more stunning than the lavenders, but people don't realize that when looking at chicks. Perhaps take some of your best pics and make 8x10s, showing what they will look like as adults, to place on the side of each cage. OR Make a couple poster collages to stand on ground below the table.

..... Let them drool over the gorgeous beauty of the English Orpington. :drool
Thank you! And I had a catalog printed with the stunning picture of Dahlia.
0B06545E-7DF9-41E5-93C5-2CB9A34EE112.jpeg

It didn't help. lol

Ughh. Nothing. My big dumb SLO cockerel got into their pen somehow. I'm not blaming him, but the new LB cockerel I brought home was limping and dropped dead. One hen is broody on infertile eggs I'm sure. The others aren't laying.

I think I have two little White cockerels. Which is exciting. A little too young to know for sure. BUt I just adore the white babies. They are so sweet and fluffy.
despicable me fall sweater GIF

They normally do pretty well. They have a barn with a concrete slab in half of the enclosed area. So lots of shade. Last year I did lose a hen to what I can only assume was heat stroke. She was so hot when I picked her up it was alarming. I ran her inside and gave her a luke warm bath to lower her body temp and she passed. No one else had issues. I did turn a sprinkler on their runs every day for a couple of hours to wet the dirt so they could cool off when they dusted. They actually did worse in the -9 degree temps and the snow this early spring we got.

Thank you! And I had a catalog printed with the stunning picture of Dahlia.
View attachment 2686589
It didn't help. lol
I'm always in awe of how round those birds are.

That really sucks about the LBs too

Back
Top Bottom