fake broody?

gigelus2k13

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 2, 2013
San Carlos, CA
I have a 2 year old BO that has always been broody. Last year she had 3 long brooding episodes and the 3rd one was so bad that after a full month I gave up and got some fertile eggs to put under her; she took great care of them and of the resulting chicks - great mom, if you're into egg hatching.

About two weeks ago she started again sitting all day long in the only nesting box all my chicken prefer, forcing the other ones to lay either on top of her or on the coop floor.

Typical broody behavior. HOWEVER, she's not broody because she's still laying her own eggs (every other day I get as many eggs as I have hens, so she's in). Poor thing, what's happening to her? Is she confused, is she getting to old for the full broodiness to kick in?

There are basically 3 choices:
1) let her be. Her behavior is of concern to me, as she's probably eating less and gets weaker. In a very small flock, that's not good and would only result in #3 below
2) find someone in my area who want a very good mother-hen (I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area)
3) chicken stock...

I don't know what to do.

Serban

Back
Top Bottom