Family Abbreviations...

Poulets De Cajun

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Houston MetroMess, Texas
Why do people use abbreviations instead of just typing it out? And who ever started the "D" thing... you know putting "D" in front of everything?

DH
DW
DS
DD
DSS
DSD
DGS
DGD
DSIL
DDIL
DA
DU
DGM
DGD
DMM
DN

Its like trying to decipher hieroglyphics....

my guesses based on insight and deductive reasoning. Idk, to me it's easier to say "mom" or "dad" or "my boyfriend nick"
just a fad? some web-based lingo for people who like to use this forum?

DH - Dear Husband
DW - Dear wife
DS - dear son
DD - dear daughter
DSS - dear sweet sister?
DSD - dear sweet daughter?
DGS - ??
DGD - ?????
DSIL - ?
DDIL - ¿
DA - dear aunt
DU - dear uncle
DGM - dear grand mother
DGD - dear grand father
DMM - ?
DN - dear nephew/niece???

Last edited:
I don't know either but it is possibly part of the texting generation that has left me behind. It mainly shows my age and a lack of intellectual curiosity about this on my part. Almost all the time, I find that this is not at all critical to understanding the post and just cruise over it. Does it really make a difference to understanding if someone is talking about a husband, boyfriend, significant other, or someone called Charlie, George, or Fred.

Just my uneducated opinion.

And my guesses

DGS - ?? Grandson
DGD - ????? Granddaughter
DSIL - ? Son-in-law
DDIL - ¿Daughtet-in-law
DMM - ? Not a clue

I thought all the abbreviations were weird at first, too. I never saw any of them until I joined a couple of different forums this past year. I held out for a while, but eventually I started using them sometimes, too.

Yes it is carry over from texting.
D= darling
I think in another generation or two the english language as we know it will be dead and we will be using all abbreviations. Ever look at your medical record....it is all abbreviated as well.

It started before texting was available, before the world wide web, when it was just the internet. Not many people were on the internet and you had to pay for every minute you were connected. People didn't sit around online. They uploaded and downloaded messages. Because every minute you were on cost money, people abbreviated a lot of things. It saved money.

These abbreviations have hung around, even though they aren't needed. They're an old habit, like a lot of the words we still use, that were based on things that are gone. They came in handy again when texting started and even more were added. I'm sure that just reinforced the usage.

Now I'm remembering my friend's mobile phone, that was the size of a small suitcase!
lau.gif

Quote:
Hey man... if you had the suitcase phone, you were THE STUFF! Remember the 'brick' phone in subsequent years. Thos gray Motorola phones that looked like you were holding a cinder block to your ear? We still have one of those in a junk drawer somewhere.

Quote:
Hey man... if you had the suitcase phone, you were THE STUFF! Remember the 'brick' phone in subsequent years. Thos gray Motorola phones that looked like you were holding a cinder block to your ear? We still have one of those in a junk drawer somewhere.

Me too! Remember you could talk for about 3 minutes then your ear was on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom