FANS in yer coops/runs?? Whos got em...........

I have one large fan for my coop. On the extra hot days, I put coffee cans with frozen water in them in front of it and it cools the coop off.

We use the small computer 'muffin fans' in the eaves of the coop- year round. low electrical demand and fresh air!

I'm new to this Posting thing, so be patient. And new to raising chickens. Have my first eggs this week!!! Yeah!! About the fans, When we drive up through
Georgia backroads, all of the large chicken farms have huge fans in the barns. So why shouldn't us lil' folk have the same luxury.
When I figure out how to get my chick pics on here, I will. Good clucking LOL

Hi Group Members !!
I'm NEW here and recently bought 6 laying hens and also 6 chicks , which are also layers too. I'm located in Eastern Canada ... !! Chickens are all NEW for me as I am a German Shepherd Breeder. We have placed our chickens up in the loft of the barn away from predators ... it's been very hot here too so I placed a fan for them and also have the radio on for them to listen to their classical music !! I hear it helps them to lay better ???? Anyways I have been getting eggs each day - about 3-4 per day. I see they lay more towards about 10 am or so. I have all kinds of questions ... just don't know WHERE to start !! I have seen some photo's of member's chicken Coops and just Love the set-ups !!

Karen

Yes, I use a large osillating fan in the coop all summer long. I position it so that it osillates in front of the laying boxes. There is a roost in front of the boxes so many hens will stand on that roost loving the breeze.

I use a small fan as well as hooking up one of those plastic misters to the hose & run it in their pen all day. They seem to love the mister, they mill about it all day long. It really helps to cool down the pen as well as the chickens. We've had an unseasonably hot Summer here in Oklahoma since June. I usually only bring out the mister in August!

Yep...each of our coops have industrial fans in them...we also have shade areas in the pens themselves...but usually we let them out in the yard when it's this hot so they can hunt for bugs, etc and sit under the trees....

I have 2 fans in the coop and just went and bought a small window air conditioner as well. My husband put it right in the wall in the coop. It's going to be 97 here today with 107 heat index. I got the A/C from craigslist on Monday
big_smile.png

I do have a small fan that I have hanging on the wall in my coop.It blows down down at an angle to keep the air moving.It stays on 24 7 .I placed a small deck on my coop so that my chickens can enter the poop door.They get under it where it is cool because there is a small draft under the coop.I can't afford A.C. but I do have Elec.I have seen some outstanding Ideas.I also have a large tree that shades 1 side of my run
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom