Fat Mom wants Surgery

Yup, it won't do her any good unless she makes changes. And I'm sorry, but all that weight didn't get there from pregnancies alone. You have to want to make a change, she's just looking for an easy way out. Eating healthy and working out take discipline - it's not easy.

My aunt had gastric bypass when I was young, about 25 years ago. She refused to do as the Doctor advised and would eat until she threw up, then eat some more. She's lucky she didn't die. She's still as heavy as she was then.

I agree - she has to make changes. People like this do have an eating disorder, though - so they really need counseling and medical help to overcome thier food addictions and emotional/psychological issues. This is not just a will power issue, it goes a lot deeper than that - you have a combination of emotional, psychological and the physical. The truth is, at her size, she probably does need a medical intervention, but it should come with counseling and nutritional support.

It may not be considered elective if she can get doctors to say the surgery will reduce her weight and thereby reduce other health issues.Shoot even in the U.S. people manage to get their tightwad insurance companies to pay when others can't get life saving surgery.

I was watching a docu on healthcare in various countries.It really showed how bad the U.S. system is.

I would rather have universal healthcare and pay for this mom than live under our current system.We have family coverage that might cover 80% on certain things AFTER we pay our yearly deductible of $6,000.00 on top of our monthly fee of $450.

I never thought about that, how funny.

Stuff like this cracks me up. After having the surgery the patient has to go through diet restrictions and exercise he/she would have to have done to lose the weight in the first place. Some folks just need a crutch for everything.

I've watched those shows about the super morbidly obese. At over 900 lbs these people have been bedridden for years. And since they can't get to the food, how is the food getting to them?

My wife's cousins struggle with weight and both went south of Yuma to get a block and one disciplined herself and lost weight and is maintaining. The other lost weight and is now fatter than before and has new problems due to the surgery. He never followed up on the exercise and eating habit recommendations.

Yup, it won't do her any good unless she makes changes. And I'm sorry, but all that weight didn't get there from pregnancies alone. You have to want to make a change, she's just looking for an easy way out. Eating healthy and working out take discipline - it's not easy.

My aunt had gastric bypass when I was young, about 25 years ago. She refused to do as the Doctor advised and would eat until she threw up, then eat some more. She's lucky she didn't die. She's still as heavy as she was then.

My best friend had gastric bypass. People say to change their eating habits before surgery, but until you have been a fat person you will not understand just how hard that is. Having the surgery makes it NECESSARY. Afterwards, a person just cannot eat the amount of sugar, sodas, etc, that were consumed prior to surgery.

New news has just come out that gastric bypass cures type II diabetes within 72 hours of surgery, before a single pound is even lost.

I think the good doctors begin work on weight loss and change in eating habits BEFORE surgery. They also work with the patient to determine if they are a good candidate for the surgery, including psychologically. But I am sure there are doctors that would do it regardless.

My best friend had gastric bypass. People say to change their eating habits before surgery, but until you have been a fat person you will not understand just how hard that is. Having the surgery makes it NECESSARY. Afterwards, a person just cannot eat the amount of sugar, sodas, etc, that were consumed prior to surgery.

New news has just come out that gastric bypass cures type II diabetes within 72 hours of surgery, before a single pound is even lost.

So true. It is very hard to loose weight. Not impossible, but very difficult and sometimes one needs to pinpoint the mental or emotional issues that can lead to such an addictive behavior before one can even begin to heal/loose weight.

If she does have the surgery and does manage to lose the weight, is going to want tax payers to pay for the surgery to remove her extra skin next.

She has to find the will power to change her diet and life style first though for it to even work. My first thing would be to cut out the $300 a week in take-out. My aunt looked into it but doesnt want to because she doesnt have to will power to change her life. She is losing her job in a few months becuase she is getting kicked out of the office and back onto production and wont be able to make it on her feet that long. Losing her job hasnt even made her want to change. I dont understand some people.

Quote:
If she does have the surgery and does manage to lose the weight, is going to want tax payers to pay for the surgery to remove her extra skin next.

She has to find the will power to change her diet and life style first though for it to even work. My first thing would be to cut out the $300 a week in take-out. My aunt looked into it but doesnt want to because she doesnt have to will power to change her life. She is losing her job in a few months becuase she is getting kicked out of the office and back onto production and wont be able to make it on her feet that long. Losing her job hasnt even made her want to change. I dont understand some people.

Here is a snipit from an article on the subject. I've (Censored) the swearing. I have also disabled some links because of the nasty comments on those pages in the comment sections.

"#2. We're Hard-Wired to Have a Double Standard

98670.jpg
Here's a good way to ruin your afternoon. Go on the Internet and find any discussion thread that brings up overweight people (like this or this one). Stand back and watch as a crowd absolutely rantsabout how incredibly easy it is to lose weight, and how incredibly lazy you have to be to get fat. The conclusion will be that being fat is literally a moral failing and the sign of a bad, disgusting human being. It's to the point of actual anger and violence directed toward the overweight in real life -- the fat are one of the last groups people can openly hate.
But now take any of those people and try using the same logic with their weaknesses:
"You're struggling to get by on your income? I can't imagine how lazy a person would have to be tonot be wealthy. Just go out there and make money! Duh!"
"You don't have a girlfriend? I can't imagine how much of an antisocial (censored) you have to be to not get a beautiful woman to love you. How hard is it to get off your (Censored) and be a dynamic, sexy, personable human being?"

"You drink alcohol? Or smoke cigarettes? Or smoke pot? Why don't you try not doing those things?"
"You suffer from depression or anxiety? Uh, have you tried not?"
Now watch as they rattle off ten thousand extenuating circumstances for their embarrassing problem (the economy is bad, women are (censored) , I have an addiction) while completely rejecting all of the similar causes of obesity.
The Science:
It's called the fundamental attribution error.

It's a universal thought process that says when other people screw up, it's because they're stupid or evil. But when we screw up, it's totally circumstantial. Like if you notice a coworker showing up to work high on mescaline, it's because he's an out-of-control peyote hound. But if you show up at work high on mescaline, it's because you had a flat tire and you needed the distraction.
The process feels so obvious when explained -- we simply lack information about the context in which the other person screwed up, and so we fill it in with our own. If we've never been fat, then we assume the fat guy feels the exact same level of hunger as we do, that his metabolism is the same, that his upbringing is the same, that the spare time and energy he can devote to exercise is the same as ours. We think that both of us faced the exact same fork in the road and only one of us chose to eat churros.
The reality is, of course, that you were on completely different roads. The assumption that everyone's circumstances are identical is so plainly wrong as to be borderline insane, but everyone does it. Pundits and politicians alike mock the unemployed as lazy, even though their own data shows that for every five unemployed people, there is only one open job. "I don't understand, can't you all just become radio talk show hosts like me?"

So During Your Next Argument, Remember ...
Forget about talking politics with your crazy shop teacher for a second. If you're consistently doing this when arguing with your significant other, that's a good sign that the relationship is dying. Listen for it -- when you forgot to do the dishes, it was because you had a thousand other things on your mind. When she forgot, it's because she doesn't care. If you find yourself automatically dismissing your partner's explanations as "excuses," you've gone to a bad place from which most relationships do not return. "

Last edited:
Quote:

Here is a snipit from an article on the subject. I've (Censored) the swearing. I have also disabled some links because of the nasty comments on those pages in the comment sections.

"#2. We're Hard-Wired to Have a Double Standard

98670.jpg
Here's a good way to ruin your afternoon. Go on the Internet and find any discussion thread that brings up overweight people (like this or this one). Stand back and watch as a crowd absolutely rantsabout how incredibly easy it is to lose weight, and how incredibly lazy you have to be to get fat. The conclusion will be that being fat is literally a moral failing and the sign of a bad, disgusting human being. It's to the point of actual anger and violence directed toward the overweight in real life -- the fat are one of the last groups people can openly hate.
But now take any of those people and try using the same logic with their weaknesses:
"You're struggling to get by on your income? I can't imagine how lazy a person would have to be tonot be wealthy. Just go out there and make money! Duh!"
"You don't have a girlfriend? I can't imagine how much of an antisocial (censored) you have to be to not get a beautiful woman to love you. How hard is it to get off your (Censored) and be a dynamic, sexy, personable human being?"

"You drink alcohol? Or smoke cigarettes? Or smoke pot? Why don't you try not doing those things?"
"You suffer from depression or anxiety? Uh, have you tried not?"
Now watch as they rattle off ten thousand extenuating circumstances for their embarrassing problem (the economy is bad, women are (censored) , I have an addiction) while completely rejecting all of the similar causes of obesity.
The Science:
It's called the fundamental attribution error.

It's a universal thought process that says when other people screw up, it's because they're stupid or evil. But when we screw up, it's totally circumstantial. Like if you notice a coworker showing up to work high on mescaline, it's because he's an out-of-control peyote hound. But if you show up at work high on mescaline, it's because you had a flat tire and you needed the distraction.
The process feels so obvious when explained -- we simply lack information about the context in which the other person screwed up, and so we fill it in with our own. If we've never been fat, then we assume the fat guy feels the exact same level of hunger as we do, that his metabolism is the same, that his upbringing is the same, that the spare time and energy he can devote to exercise is the same as ours. We think that both of us faced the exact same fork in the road and only one of us chose to eat churros.
The reality is, of course, that you were on completely different roads. The assumption that everyone's circumstances are identical is so plainly wrong as to be borderline insane, but everyone does it. Pundits and politicians alike mock the unemployed as lazy, even though their own data shows that for every five unemployed people, there is only one open job. "I don't understand, can't you all just become radio talk show hosts like me?"

So During Your Next Argument, Remember ...
Forget about talking politics with your crazy shop teacher for a second. If you're consistently doing this when arguing with your significant other, that's a good sign that the relationship is dying. Listen for it -- when you forgot to do the dishes, it was because you had a thousand other things on your mind. When she forgot, it's because she doesn't care. If you find yourself automatically dismissing your partner's explanations as "excuses," you've gone to a bad place from which most relationships do not return. "
Thank you!!! X2!!! It seems so many are willing to "cast the first stone" and judge people as immoral, lazy, stupid etc. We all have problems and failings as human beings and some peoples are more externally obvious than others. Hating fat people is just one of the last groups you can get away with mocking and tormenting.

Back
Top Bottom