Fatty Foods that are bad for chickens

I get meat and fat scraps from the meat store. Its all locally grown grass fed/free range origins. I get it for the dogs, but started giving it to the chickens also as the weather gets colder. They LOVE it. I have noticed no problems with it and the girls still eat their crumbles and such.

Quote:
I had a chicken that could only use half of her body which I tried to save but ended up putting down.

Was is the left side. They say the signs of a stroke is it effects the left side, jaw, arm and chest/breast in this case.

Last edited:
Quote:
I had a chicken that could only use half of her body which I tried to save but ended up putting down.

Was is the left side. They say the signs of a stroke is it effects the left side, jaw, arm and chest/breast in this case.

I don't remember the side anymore. But her wing was droopy, her face seems kind of “off” and she couldn’t use her leg well anymore.

chickens will eat anything. i cook up deer parts for them they love it. they need protein to stay warm and my eggs are wonderful. the possabilities are endless

Quote:
Um . . . corn/stach is NOT high in fat. And it's very good for chickens. So is fat, for that matter. A diet that is high in just one thing is a bad idea--i.e., cracked corn. But that doesn't make corn bad for them. Personally, I give corn on the cob in cob feeders instead of cracked corn, b/c it's fun for them to eat that way.
smile.png

I am wondering if there are foods like corn or starchy foods may be bad for the girls.
Foods we feed that may have adverse effects.
Foods we feed that have zero food value or help. Cracked corn I heard is just a filler
Do Chickens have like a high cholesterol?
Fats that gather around the heart that will cause birds to be obese or sickly?
Fried foods or greasy foods or certain oils.

Cholesterol is found only in animal products, and since unlike human beings, chickens are meant to eat large quantities of animal products, they are unlikely to have problems with so-called "bad" cholesterol. Like dogs and cats, who are carnivores, they can handle dietary cholesterol.

Certainly avoid fried foods or anything w/ oil added--those are not REAL foods. Stick with layer pellets with the addition of REAL WHOLE FOODS (like brown rice and other whole grains, vegetables, fruits, raw meat, etc.).
smile.png

Aren't these chickens? My chickens eat everything, even food that may not be good for human consumption (rotten). My eggs have never tasted bad. The only thing they haven't gotten is onions although they have gotten cooked onions from leftover roast from dinner. I have actually felt bad for them because my feeder pigs have been getting table scraps.

Does anyone find this offensive? I had 42 eggs in the incubator and last night was lockdown. 11 were bad. I cracked em and put them over a bucket of pellet feed and fed it to the hogs. They loved it.

Both eat grubs, bugs and anything else they can find. I am sure that the things I give them won't kill em..... Chickens love maggots. THAT's gross.

On the subject of maggots, I left some scraps in the microwave and after cleaning it, there were some live maggots in there. I nuked them for 5 minutes and some were still alive. I HATE maggots.

Quote:
A stroke can affect either side. Just depends which side of the brain the stroke (usually due to a clot or a bleed) occurred in.

Quote:
I would never give my chickens rotten food. They may well develop horrible GI tract distress from rotten food. A little beyond the pale? I.e., a head of broccoli that's starting to bolt? Sure. But not actually rotten.

I would never give my chickens rotten food.

I'm with you. Mold can goof up their intestinal flora or even their crop (sour crop). I know folks can get away with feeding moldy food to their chickens, but it depends on amounts and frequency and a bunch of other factors. Molding, rotting grain can be deadly.

I hate to throw good feed away. I feed my chickens onions, raw, from the root ends, all chopped up, all the time. They eat them. If I don't have time to chop them, then I can compost them.

Chickens that are in a run will eat stuff that chickens that are free ranged would ignore. They will eat lettuce leaves in the run if I haven't let them out to free range. But If I toss lettuce outside the run and then let the chickens out to free range, then they will ignore the lettuce. I guess I haven't tried this with chopped onions yet.

Corn is not just filler. Vit A. It's one of the main sources of Vit A in my chickens' feed. We don't buy it because it's a cheap ingredient either; we buy organic corn for them because in small quantities it's a valuable feed ingredient. Good yolk color and flavor. Good metabolizable energy. Nice oil contribution to our feed. Probably one of the other good things about corn is that in a mash (or pellets) it's very palatable. Our feed needs it so that the chickens can enjoy the flavor of their feed. I think our feed is all of 8-10% corn.

Back
Top Bottom