Faverolle bantam chick that can't straighten out - only a few days old

lil crickett

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 15, 2011
I have a Faverolle bantam chick who was having trouble getting out of its egg. We didn't help it out because we were told not to for its health. It had pipped the egg itself and my mother picked off a tiny piece of shell since it seemed to be having trouble. However, it seemed too weak to get out of shell and stayed there for four days trying to hatch. This morning we ended up getting it out because there was no other choice. We have helped other chicks out of the same batch as this one and they are doing fine. This chick was more bloody then the others we helped and we found out that it had its umbilical cord around its neck. We have cleaned it off and holding it in our hands in a washclothe to keep it warm. But it can't seem to keep its head up, it can move its neck though. And it stumbles a lot but it did just get out of its shell this morning. It talks a lot and chirps like a lil crickett so it does have some strength. Can anyone help me with ideas to help it straighten out???? I have a picture of it but dont know how to upload it.

Do a search here for Wry neck...you can feed it some electrolyte water like sav a chick or many say poly vital NON IRON vitamin drops in the infant section..like 5 drops per quart of water can really help.

thank you sooooooooooooo much!!! Really appriciate it
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom