Faverolles Thread

One of my faverolles is limping. I don't know what happened but I noticed it today. It seems to be a sprained leg, there is swelling on one leg and it hurts when i touch it. Hopefully it will heal on it's own?
I had a faverolle pullet that was in the same situation last year. She held on for a long time, but it never got any better. Leg injuries is one of the things I have dealt with most in my flock. It always seem like someone is doing something, whether it is jumping off the roost funny or getting into something they shouldn't be. Good luck, hopefully it heals quick!

Last edited:
We just finished the county fair and my daughter got Reserve Overall Best of Show for Alzenheimer one of our Salmon Faverolle roosters! He was 1st, Best of Division and Best Standard. He only lost the top spot to a stunning silkie pullet we gave one of our 4H friends a few months ago. I don't have the pics downloaded yet (or know if they turned out very well yet) but here is an older pic of him....

We just finished the county fair and my daughter got Reserve Overall Best of Show for Alzenheimer one of our Salmon Faverolle roosters! He was 1st, Best of Division and Best Standard. He only lost the top spot to a stunning silkie pullet we gave one of our 4H friends a few months ago. I don't have the pics downloaded yet (or know if they turned out very well yet) but here is an older pic of him....

He's stunning! These are probably my favorite rooster, looks wise.

As I am new to Faverolles, could someone please advise me on what to look for when culling juveniles? We have quite a few Salmon Faverolles that are approaching two months of age, with a fair amount of variance in their appearance. Specifically, some of the pullets appear quite nice and well proportioned with the traditional wheaten appearance. Others are a bit "weedy" with a fair amount of grey under fluff, and poor feather quality. Regarding the males, we're seeing some very nice sized boys with good body weights. However, what should we be looking for in color, muff and beard at this age?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
Kevin

Two months old is far too young to judge them. Unless they have horrible combs (side sprigs and that sort of thing) or bad toes (extra toes/nails) grow them out until they are at least 6 months old. Maybe even longer for the males.

I have a silly question, but how do you pronounce Favorolles?

I bought 5 bantam chicks from a local breeder, but unfortunately all died but one. I have zero clue if it's male or female, although I am leaning more towards girl. I don't really have any other bantams, save for 3 mismatched old english that are about 4 months old. (Well, I do have some silkie and cochin chicks and eggs coming along....but they are going to be for breeding.) This little gal is only 2 months old and still so tiny. I"m hoping to stick her in with the others once she gets big enough. If it's a gal. If it's a roo, I will have to rehome it because one of the old english is a roo and my BF's favorite. LOL! Wish I had a picture so I could get your opinion on gender. Will try to get one this weekend.

Here is a soundclip of how it 'should' be pronounced: http://www.forvo.com/word/faverolles/

My husband first pronounced it "flavor roll" when we got this breed, which I thought was absolutely hilarious! So now I find myself saying it that way, too... I know it's wrong, but it's so funny to me! sounds like a sushi roll.. full of flavor ;)

Back
Top Bottom