Faverolles Thread

I've got one he's not too much trouble as of yet. Not aggressive at all to people, and he's cute.
Thanks. I don't have the heart to cull anything, so if they are reasonable they can stay. I have never had any aggressive bantams roos, but quite a few of the standards I have accidentally received have had to go to free-ranging homes for attacking people (they eventually get taken out by predators unfortunately).

Attachments

• 20170828_174041.jpg
    20170828_174041.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 8
So...I was at Tractor Supply about 2 1/2 weeks ago and was headed to the back of the store to get chick feed for the 6 chicks I'd purchased 2 Weeks before. As I'm walking down the isle I hear cheeping and had to look. What did I see??? A cattle tank full of fluffy Salmon Faverolles!!!!!! I was like please be sexed pullet, please, please! I want Faverolles so bad!!!! Nope...straight run. Now most would be like ok fine...but I had to stop and think about it as this summer I won the Lottery!!! The Cockerel lottery that is. Out of 22 eggs I hatched I ended up with 16 cockerels. Well...I couldn't resist...so I got 6. They will be 3 weeks old on Sunday. It looks like I have a 50/50 split...3 pullets...3 cockerels! I'll be keeping one of them and was wondering if there is anyone in East TN or Western NC (near Asheville) who wants one or both of the other two?

I'll post some pictures this weekend of them. I want to grow them out a little before I choose the one I want to keep...but thought I'd go ahead and ask. Thanks!

It's interesting to read this thread and learn more about Faverolles. I have a 14 week old pullet from Meyer Hatchery, and it sounds like her personality is typical for the breed. She is afraid of her own shadow and squeals in terror if any of the other birds get too close. She sounds more like a goose than a chicken when she honks and squeaks, which I find hilarious. She's the only bird I have who isn't consistent about roosting with the flock; some nights I find her sleeping on the droppings tray with her head tucked behind the nest box curtains when I go to lock up the coop at night. :lau I'm hoping she eventually grows out of that so that I don't have to block off the nest boxes every single evening for eternity!

For a hatchery bird, I'm pretty happy with her coloring. She's been a little slower to mature than the rest of her flock mates, but she's gradually losing more and more of the dark/gray feathers every day. It's hard to get a good photo of her because she's so timid, but here's one from a couple of weeks ago with my RIR and Delaware of the same age. Her beard and muffs have grown in considerably since this photo was taken.

IMG_3690.JPG

Both my faverolle were bottom birds and quite meek, so make sure there's places for her to get away or hide. My current one has spent her whole first year never leaving the shed. With the addition of new chicks this year she is no longer bottom bird and is now venturing outside to forage. They are lovely little birds who need someone to look out for them.

Make sure you've got low perches, too. They can be quite plump and get bumblefoot easily that can go unseen for a while under all those feathers.

Here's what I'm dealing with this weekend - a faverolle was acting lethargic and I found blood under her perch. Finally catch her only to find 1) she's missing a toe and 2) has bumbles on both feet!

She's a repeat offender of bumblefoot and I have no idea what she did to her poor fifth toe!

Lovely breed, but dang, this girl is a mess!

Lordy,they are sweet little things but you've got to have the patience of Jobe to keep up with them. I had to give my two little girls a chunk of the coop to themselves, and gave them a 2x4 two side up to roost on all the of about a foot off the coop floor. Tried the four side up but they slid off still haven't figured that out lol! Got one laying starts announcing she's going to about half an hour before she does and one just waiting it out. That rooster is a trip, sweet, clumsy insistent on roosting with the standard hens they end up pushing him off the roost trying to snuggle. If anyone loses a toe it will be him.

I make sure to sand all my roosts and I've never seen bumblefoot, just lucky maybe. My current faverolle got severe frostbite on her toes last winter and lost a few, her name is no toes now. She roosted in front of the only hole in the tin, and was the only one that got frostbite. This year the tin is now wood, so it shouldn't happen again.

My birds prefer the 2 up too on a 2x4, so most of mine are situated that way, though they have the option of flat surfaces, which some birds choose to use.

What in the heck is up with the toes? They look sturdy, well protected but there's two of y'all now taking about missing toes! Do I just need to go ahead and start making chicken shoes? Now I'd heard about the bumbles been checking for those religiously and knock on wood none yet, but that toe thing is a new one.

Back
Top Bottom