Faverolles Thread

i was so parainoid of my neighbors complaining about my Charlie's constant crowing that i eventually brought him into my house and had him there for about a month while trying to figure out a solution. he didn't get his 5 toes but he was such a sweetie that i just had the hardest time parting with him. i regret doing this but i eventually just gave him away to someone on Freecycle that took 2 of my other roosters at the same time. i had previously met them in the year at a swap but they were interested in ducks at that time.

at least i know they are in the same town as me. i just emailed them after months of being without Charlie to see if they might still have him and how he has been doing. (i'm hoping for a pic to see if he has updated his coloring at all.)

Blue Faverolles have been around and I had some of those but very disappointed with them. From what one breeder said, it was crossed from an Blue Orp to a Faverolle. Throwbacks sometimes are so common that I am assuming that is why one breeder didnt have them listed very long or owned them that long. I had some Black Faverolle Bantams that was from a gentleman in MI (name escaped me. I am sure in the past posts of my Faverolles would pop up. I no longer have Faverolles but I did enjoy them while I had them for at least five years.

Quote:
big_smile.png
I am at home working on college apps and I think the two roosters are fine
lol.png
but who knows what the neighbors think. I do think sometimes they are bored and thats why they crow the LF flock is free ranging and there hasn't been a peep out of them in over and hour and a half who knows? Well I am getting at least one faverolle egg a day
big_smile.png
and I have a waiting list so I am sending out a test batch of eggs next week. We will see how they do.

Henry

Quote:
Mine go through spells of crowing. When they hear something, when they see me, when they want their treats, etc, but a lot of the time they're quiet. Of course when one sounds off the others have to also.

-Cindy

Quote:
Mine go through spells of crowing. When they hear something, when they see me, when they want their treats, etc, but a lot of the time they're quiet. Of course when one sounds off the others have to also.

-Cindy

Mine too! Between all my birds I have 6 roos, 3 of them being Favs, and especially when the bantams start in, the big boys HAVE to out do them! The best part for me is that my uppity pretentious neighbors hate the noise, sometimes I egg on my boys when I know the neighbors are outside! hee hee, don't tell!!
wink.png
(they live in the country, what on earth do they expect?)

My poor little flock! Yesterday it rained a ton and the area there tractor was in was wetter then I thought. Today they made it into a mud pit and when the rooster mated the girls he squished them in the mud
tongue.png
They have mud all down their fronts and he is the only one that is clean. The tractor is moved now and the girls will hopefully clean up or I will have to give them all baths. Faverolles are just the funniest chickens.

Hey Henry, I'll post your sketch here if I can... should be in a couple days.

I wanted to express again how absolutely gorgeous your faves are. I just cannot believe it. Do you think you'll be keeping the boy after all? I think I may have to save a spot for them in my new barn.. (I talked Rusty into building me a banty barn this Winter)
celebrate.gif

Quote:
Thanks so much! I would really like to be able to keep him but we will see what happens. If I am keeping him we could do something with the little splash boy I have if you want he is going to be gourgous to! and these ladies are laying which is so strange because they are in a unheated chicken tractor. I really love Faverolles they are the best and prettiest breed!

I really love Faverolles they are the best and prettiest breed!

I have to agree!
thumbsup.gif
My two girls have started laying now and . . . the eggs are fertile! Yay for Emmet (my roo)! Now, I just have to get my incubator finished (the "Broner-bator") and I'll have some great eggs to practice with.
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Thanks so much! I would really like to be able to keep him but we will see what happens. If I am keeping him we could do something with the little splash boy I have if you want he is going to be gourgous to! and these ladies are laying which is so strange because they are in a unheated chicken tractor. I really love Faverolles they are the best and prettiest breed!

I was just thinking I would like to get eggs in the Spring. I wonder if the splash boy you have could give you consistent blue salmon. It may work similar to the blue/black/splash gene or the wheaten gene. I know with wheaten rosecombs if you breed "splash" wheaten (what they call the birds produced by mating two blue wheatens together) to a regular wheaten you will get 100% blue wheatens so they call those "splash" ones blue wheaten makers. The same for the blue/black/splash... if you mate a splash to a black, you will get 100% blues. Im wondering if salmon is the same.

Back
Top Bottom